Replace gasket on compression fitting flex hose

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil C

Reaction score
Like the title says, is it possible to replace the little rubber gasket on the inside ends of compression fitting flex hose? See attached photo, white gasket as example.

I know the general rule of thumb is to replace these hoses entirely, but many new fixtures come with these built in now and seemingly no access to disconnect on the faucet side.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230326_110115_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230326_110115_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 0
Ok if that's the case, seems a bit like a scam. In my case no problem, it's a hose going to a water filter which I'm sure I can find a like for like replacement. But what about a $1000+ plus faucet? Over tighten the hose and you gotta throw the whole thing in the garbage? Doesn't make sense...

Ok if that's the case, seems a bit like a scam. In my case no problem, it's a hose going to a water filter which I'm sure I can find a like for like replacement. But what about a $1000+ plus faucet? Over tighten the hose and you gotta throw the whole thing in the garbage? Doesn't make sense...
That’s the way the cookie crumbles. Have a nice day.

Those stainless steel hoses are lined with rubber, which many advise should be replaced ever 7-8 years. Even if you were able to separate the gasket in the female end, consider if that rubber end is going bad, it is probably time to replace the entire hose.

Those stainless steel hoses are lined with rubber, which many advise should be replaced ever 7-8 years. Even if you were able to separate the gasket in the female end, consider if that rubber end is going bad, it is probably time to replace the entire hose.
Yeah I understand that but it is a brand new hose that came with an undersink filter I purchased. I made certain to go easy with the tightening but it kept leaking, reseated and retightened and went full blast in last ditch effort which as expected made it worse. Poor design if the gasket can't be replaced... I'll replace everything with copper line and proper compression connections.

It could be a compatibility issue with the ball valve which looks like the male end is pretty thin, barely making contact with the tapered rubber gasket in the hose.

Still bugs me that faucets come with these hoses built in now a days though...

I hear where you are coming from. Even a small nick at the end of the male threads can cause serious damage to the rubber as it is being tightened, and once cinched up, you may have already caused damage to the hose. I guess if anyone had a couple million $ laying around for R & D, I'm sure someone could design a better product.

Before I get off my soapbox, I have one of those robot vacuum cleaners. I got a great deal on it, only paying $100, and it works great. Since it is 4 years old, I decided to get the battery replaced. I took it to a battery store and the guy laughed at me and said the battery would cost me $135, and recommended that I just throw the vacuum away and get another one. It is definitely a "throw away society" anymore!

Rant over!

I personally like when the kitchen faucets come with the attached braided supply lines. I don't seem to have any
problems with them.

Latest posts

Back