Replace a Garbage Disposal

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcraw

Reaction score
Hi there:

I recently had Granite Counter tops installed, and they required a drop sink, which is 5-8 inches below my old sink, and this affects my existing plumbing.

If I install my old Kenmore Food Disposal, the disposer's discharge opening is lower than the drain stub-out, by 3-4 inches.

Question# 1: What do I need to do, to make sure that the food waste is draining into the drain stub-out, and prevent waste backups?

Question# 2: Can I install (assuming I find one) a garbage disposal that has the discharge opening at the top of the disposer, that will give me an equal to or higher discharge opening? My Kenmore Disposal's discharge is 6-7 inches from the sink flange (top).

Thanks in advance,

Jcraw

you need to have the sanitary tee in the wall moved lower to accommodate the deeper bowls. this is a common problem and requires a portion of the back wall of te cabinet to be cut out. then you can cut out the san tee and lower it.

Thanks "Lordofthepipes."
I am not sure what a sanitary tee is, and I definitely have no clue about cutting out this sanitary tee and lowering it. Thanks for responding.

Someone at Yahoo Answer has the same problem, and a post there suggested the following: "Install the strainer basket and down tube. Then connect a p-trap as high as possible. Hopefully the exhaust opening of the p-trap will be higher than the opening in the wall."

Any thoughts on this solution?

The "sanitary" tee is behind the wall board and connects the drain line and vent line. If you remove the wall board, you will see the tee and the piping.

jcraw, the Yahoo answer that you posted is for the removal of the garbage disposal and returning the sink to normal operation without a disposal. Not recommended in this situation.
I've seen a few handy-man solutions that end up failing over time. Follow LOTP and majakdragon on this, have a pro do it if you are not familiar with this type of DIY project.

I use an Insinkerator Badger 10s from Lowes. Don't worry about the 10s part number. They are the same model just numbered different for different stores so consumers can't price match a sale. Low cost, works great, and if it goes out I can replace it quick and easily.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back