Repairing a leaking cooper pipe???

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker Techau

Reaction score
water pipe.jpg Hi. New member, 1st time poster and plumbing novice. I discovered a leak inside an interior wall in a section of cooper pipe. I cut open the drywall and found the leak. There's about 18" of cooper pipe that extends from the hose bib through the exterior house wall and then to a cooper connector which then connects to pex. The leak is a 1/2" long slit in the cooper pipe (see photo). What's the best way to repair this? Can a plumber soldier the split in the cooper pipe? Or does the cooper need to be cut off past the leaking slit? Or do I just replace the whole 18" section with new cooper pipe or with pex? Thanks for your help.

That is not fixable. That is your freezeless hydrant that maybe someone left a hose on during the winter.
It froze and split. It needs to be replaced.

Reactions: SHR
View attachment 17362 Hi. New member, 1st time poster and plumbing novice. I discovered a leak inside an interior wall in a section of cooper pipe. I cut open the drywall and found the leak. There's about 18" of cooper pipe that extends from the hose bib through the exterior house wall and then to a cooper connector which then connects to pex. The leak is a 1/2" long slit in the cooper pipe (see photo). What's the best way to repair this? Can a plumber soldier the split in the cooper pipe? Or does the cooper need to be cut off past the leaking slit? Or do I just replace the whole 18" section with new cooper pipe or with pex? Thanks for your help.
only way to fix is to cut out past pex 90 and cut out split and then add a pex coupling....if that is a outside spikot add a tee and a ball valve were the pex 90 was with an access panel....then reconnect to the copper

only way to fix is to cut out past pex 90 and cut out split and then add a pex coupling....if that is a outside spikot add a tee and a ball valve were the pex 90 was with an access panel....then reconnect to the copper
???
I believe "TomFOhio" is saying that the copper pipe is part of the freeze proof spigot. In which case it would have a stem inside as well as the shutoff seat within that brass end connector.
So are you saying it is not?
Also, please explain the purpose of the tee and ball valve. Drainage in place of a Stop & Waste valve?

???
I believe "TomFOhio" is saying that the copper pipe is part of the freeze proof spigot. In which case it would have a stem inside as well as the shutoff seat within that brass end connector.
So are you saying it is not?
Also, please explain the purpose of the tee and ball valve. Drainage in place of a Stop & Waste valve?
tomfromohio is right....that's a frost free silcock i have a frost free silcock....with a tee and ball valve...that's in place if your stop and waste....i drain the silcock thru the ball valve

Back