repair or replace

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PRMac

Reaction score
Hi, I’m new to this forum. As there is great advice give I would like to seek help with a septic problem.

In late fall a square foot pool of water appeared. This spring I pumped enough water out to reveal the steel septic tank. The pool was over the hole a short ways in front of the lid. Because of a Covid Lockdown I can’t get anyone in to inspect it. Please advise as to what the problem might be, and if I can do anything to keep the price down. The last picture is as it is now. Thanks in advance. Paul

IMG_6925.JPGIMG_6926.JPGIMG_6928.JPGIMG_6931.JPGseptic now.jpg

Have you had the septic tank completely pumped out? Maybe the outlet or the drain field is clogged. It could get real expensive to have everything replaced, better to troubleshoot, clean it out, try it.

Have you had the septic tank completely pumped out? Maybe the outlet or the drain field is clogged. It could get real expensive to have everything replaced, better to troubleshoot, clean it out, try it.
RS, Thanks for your quick response. I have not had the septic pumped out. I have been misinformed by the Locals that the tank didn't ever need to be pumped out and this problem has only now led me to the truth. One of the stipulations of my purchasing the property was that the previous owners had the septic pumped out which they did...15 years ago. I know I will need it pumped but, because of the expense $1000+, I was hoping to only having to do it once and so my search for answers began. That being said, I will do what needs to be done, so, when I get the tank pumped out (may take awhile as there is a lockdown in Ontario), how do I diagnose an outlet or drain field clog? FYI, there has been no effect on the drainage speed from the house.

Wow, $1,000.00 septic tank pump out? Here in Northern Ontario we pay around $125.00.

Wow, $1,000.00 septic tank pump out? Here in Northern Ontario we pay around $125.00.
I'm between Sudbury and Sault Ste Marie where a friend of a friend just had his basin pumped out for $1100+. I will be calling around when the Lockdown is lifted. Apparently one company near Elliot Lake bought out all the local companies and, with a monpoly, jacked the prices, but that's heresay so I hope I can find out next week.

Wow, in MN we get them pumped out for <$200. I would pump it yourself if you have a way to do that. If the effluent is draining out of the house OK, just live with it until things get back to normal, if they ever do! If the border was open I could come and help you! A few years ago we were coming home to MN from NY, went up to Ottawa and drove through CA all the way to Fort Frances ON. Beautiful drive!

Anyone pumping the septic tank should be prepared with shovels also. Be sure you are there when it is pumped to verify that a layer of heavy debris is not left that would diminish the volume of your tank capacity.

Back