Repair kitchen sink drain with an older non-3.5" small drain hole.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leif Olson

Reaction score
I have nice big typical double kitchen sink, or so I thought. It has a standard 3.5" drain hole on the right side, but on the left side, the drain basket is molded into the stainless steel and the hole is only about 1-3/4" in diameter. The pipe just broke off at the threads which had just crumbled to nothing this morning. I thought this was going to be an easy fix, go down to my local hardware store and just get a replacement part. The problem is that I have been unable to find any parts that fit this hole. There are 3.5" drain basket replacement parts everywhere, but the only thing close in size I have found is a bar sink drain which is quite different in design. My drain still uses a standard strainer, but the "bell" itself is molded into the sink. I have been Googling all over and I have yet to find anything similar. The only brand I can find on the sink itself is Camelot and my house was built in 1965 if the sink has never been replaced. Attaching a picture if it helps any.

Has anyone ever seen or heard of a kitchen sink like this or know where I can order the parts I need? I would really like to replace what should just be a $10-20 part and not my entire sink.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I actually ended up installing something similar from a local hardware store just to make the sink usable again. Although my wife was happy that the sink can be used again, she wasn't too impressed with the tiny strainer basket. I will keep looking for a bit, but I may have to resort to replacing our entire sink. At least it appears to be a standard 33" x 22" drop-in.

Get a dremel type tool and hone it out. Replace with standard basket strainer.

Back