Renters damaged old (1975?) shower fixture

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian79z

Reaction score
I have a 2 handle shower fixture in a shower only stall. The renters broke off the left/hot knob, which broke off the tip of the stem. I need to replace the entire valve cartridge, but I cannot even find a handle match at any local home improvement store. Are most valve cartridges the same (I doubt it).

Anyway, I can't tell what brand or model it is, but it looks like either of these two different mfg items. But the design is so simple, it can be anyone's?

Kingston Brass KF112 Double Handle 8" Center Tub and Shower with Rough In, Single Function Showerhead, Tub Spout and Metal Knob Handles

Price Pfister 03-612 Double Handle Tub and Shower Trim and Valve with Single Function Showerhead from the Bedford Series

Anyway.. I'd like to know if I can just replace the cartridges simply along with handles.... and be done with it. Or will I need to replace the whole darn assembly behind the shower wall?

Thanks.

A pic of the BACK of the handle would be very helpful. That or a pic of the stem it attatches to.

A pic of the BACK of the handle would be very helpful. That or a pic of the stem it attatches to.

No problem... I'll give you both if it helps me figure a solution.

The pic of the back of the handle also shows the sheared off screw as well as the set screw and the 2 teeth for the end of the stem.
IMG00024-20110306-1849.jpg

IMG00025-20110306-1915.jpg

Huh, at first i thought this looked like an old price pfister, but none of them have that stepped thread before the stem narrows, they all have a hex fitting there.

It ids possible that it is a crane 23-4777 or 23-4778, both of which have the stepped thread and i -think- the right number of teeth on the stem end.

http://www.plumbingpartsdepot.com/crane-repcal.pdf has drawings of both types, page 3. You will need to remove the stem from the valve to see what the rest of it looks like to confirm.

I'm honestly not sure where you can get parts that old, but identification is the first step, so let us know if one of these seem to line up.

Huh, at first i thought this looked like an old price pfister, but none of them have that stepped thread before the stem narrows, they all have a hex fitting there.

It ids possible that it is a crane 23-4777 or 23-4778, both of which have the stepped thread and i -think- the right number of teeth on the stem end.

http://www.plumbingpartsdepot.com/crane-repcal.pdf has drawings of both types, page 3. You will need to remove the stem from the valve to see what the rest of it looks like to confirm.

I'm honestly not sure where you can get parts that old, but identification is the first step, so let us know if one of these seem to line up.

Here's another photo.

I did not see a match on the page you referred to. I appreciate the help... and hopefully, I can get replacements!

IMG00029-20110308-1624.jpg

Now that it it is out of the valve body it looks nothing like the crane I was looking at.

That harcraft does appear to be very close, i managed to find a bit of a better match by the same company (had never heard of harcraft before). Official measurement Length 4-35/64"

2621.jpg

Last edited:
Now that it it is out of the valve body it looks nothing like the crane I was looking at.

That harcraft does appear to be very close, i managed to find a bit of a better match by the same company (had never heard of harcraft before). Official measurement Length 4-35/64"

2621.jpg

What is the part # Is it the same S-910-3 ?

Your picture is different than what I haver at the bottom of the stem. I would imagine that it should not affect performance. But I'd rather get things right before I have to mail order these, since they are not sold around here.

Huh, i thought I put the part number there, my bad.

It is 982621 over at Harcraft Items - Plumbing Parts

Slight differences like that at the bottom are common, since there is a 30 year difference. the indent in the brass is probably to save money, and shouldn't change the way it works since the o-ring and the washer are at the same spot.

basically you want the o-rings, washers and threads to line up, the rest is cosmetic.

Last edited:
I think I just found everything I need, and I thought they never had it available.... including the right escutcheons and handles.. Problem is.. there's none in the 5 state area according to them. They're supposed to get back to me to confirm if they can get the parts or not.

Shop Harcraft Hot and Cold Faucet Stem

EDIT... Crapola.. The guy at Lowe's can't even find it in his system. FWIW, he is being a total tool and insists that Harcraft is not a brand.

Last edited:
I have sold faucets for like 16 years or so now (uh..I think it has been 16 years for a few years now) and I had never heard of Harcraft until now. Of course, just because I hadn't heard of them doesn't mean I deny their existence.

Lowe's item number for the stem is 176238, the other parts are all listed here: Shop Plumbing : Faucets : Harcraft at Lowes.com

Go back in and tell him you had to talk to a Lowe's guy in Canada :p

Thanks a bunch.

I just received a box of parts on Saturday and installed them today. Everything works great.

Latest posts

Back