Removing particles from hot water recirculation system

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groston

Reaction score
By drilling a hole in the valve, see Need a low cracking pressure check valve, I was able to stop the chattering. Great. However, I am again seeing some black particles in the hot water, particles that come from the water heater and flow to the faucet via the recirculation system.

I have two ideas for dealing with these particles:
  1. Put a filter in the recirculation system line. My major concern with this idea is that the filter would have to be fairly fine and that might create enough back pressure to make the recirculation system stop working. A minor issue is the ability to clean the filter, but the water in the recirculation system should force the particles back into the water heater.
  2. Put some sort of fitting into the recirculation system line that increases the water head flowing towards the faucets but does not impact the head flowing towards the water heater. My major concern with this idea is that I don’t know if such a thing exists.
My ask is simply this: Please share your thoughts about these ideas and (if possible) pictures or links to specific parts that might work. Thanks.

Flush the system. Remove any rubber type flexible hoses and replace with pipe if present at the water heater.

Don’t filter the return.

The only thing that will increase head toward the faucets is a pump. Installing larger supply piping would do it. Or a tiny return. But the balancing valve that ive told you about (which is totally adjustable) would act like a smaller return. I don't know why this is so hard.

You need to both make the flow go forward and slow it enough for the particles to settle in the tank... Both things a balancing valve would do, for the third time.

It worked for years.

I’d just replace the water heater if I couldn’t flush it out. No problem.🤠

The black particles and the swing check being hung verticle means it didn't work. He had reverse flow for years. If you keep reading the check valve was likley broke from the start.

It gives the illusion of working while sending gunk throughout the system. We've already been over this.

The black particles and the swing check being hung verticle means it didn't work. He had reverse flow for years. If you keep reading the check valve was likley broke from the start.

It gives the illusion of working while sending gunk throughout the system. We've already been over this.

Yes, the illusion the guy said it worked for years. You say it didn’t.....so that’s that. 🤣🤡👍

Bye JG. 🤣

I spoke with a plumber today who suggested moving the recirc line from the bottom of the water heater (it enters via the drain line) to the top of the water heater (t'ing it with the actual hot water supply line.). While I fully understand how this would stop the particles, I am wondering if the passive recirc system would still work. Your thought?

Anyone's guess on weather this works. You given no specifics when I asked. Not followed the advise I've given. So I'm kind of done helping.

I'd start with unruining the check valve you ruined.

I spoke with a plumber today who suggested moving the recirc line from the bottom of the water heater (it enters via the drain line) to the top of the water heater (t'ing it with the actual hot water supply line.). While I fully understand how this would stop the particles, I am wondering if the passive recirc system would still work. Your thought?

I believe that would stop the passive circulation.

Plenty of these systems work perfectly, the difference is the other systems don’t have the black particles.

Replace the water heater and it should be fine, or continue to flush it out until it’s clean.

Latest posts

Back