Removing Moen kitchen faucet aerator

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flipsyde98

Reaction score
My Moen kitchen faucet has an aerator that none of the standard aerator keys seem to fit. I've attached a picture of it below. Maybe Moen did this purposefully to make people need to replace the whole faucet head every time.

20210706_023115.jpg

Looking at this YouTube video, How to remove a Moen kitchen faucet aerator, an Allen key is used between 2 of the aerator slots. However, on my faucet, the aerator is more protruding, making it not possible to put an object between the 2 slots.

I've tried to use needle nose pliers, but the nose on the pliers are not small enough to fit into the aerator slots. I've also tried to use 2 small flat nosed screwdrivers, but the aerator is on too tight for that to work.

As mentioned, all the standard aerator keys won't fit this. I did find 2 items that MIGHT be able to work, and from reading the reviews, it seems at least 1 person for each item has been able to use it to remove a Moen aerator:

Amazon.com: Danco 10909 Multi-Use Aerator Key, Black: Home Improvement
T&S Brass 015425-45 Dual VR Aerator Key: Faucet Aerators And Adapters: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Before I try these though, just wanted to see if anyone else had success using any other method to remove an aerator like this. Otherwise, I'll just buy them and try my luck. Thank you.

Last edited:
It has two wrench flats. 10 o’clock and 4 oclock

use needle nose pliers, 8” set.
679A7280-F88C-4A5A-BA27-E69E1A1986BA.jpeg

Last edited:
@Twowaxhack is correct. The whole black piece unscrews using the wrench flats. You can use an adjustable wrench if you don't have 8" needle nose.

@Twowaxhack, thank you. I did notice the flatter ends after you mentioned it. I attempted to use needle nose pliers as well as an adjustable wrench, but it was slipping a bit on the plastic and I didn't want to risk damaging the aerator.

What I ended up doing was ordering one of the tools from Amazon that I had mentioned in my original post.

https://www.amazon.com/Brass-015425-45-Dual-Aerator-Key/dp/B00DVSJD5Q

It arrived in a day, and easily allowed me to remove the aerator. After cleaning everything off inside and outside, the faucet head works like new again.

Back