Removing Iron: Greensand vs BIRM vs Manganese Dioxide

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AirOp

Reaction score
We have about 2.5ppm of iron.
We have a ph of about 8.1
We have a flow rate of about 8 gallons per minute (I got a 5 gallon bucket in 35 seconds)
Water is a bit hard.
Low on the tannins.

We have 2 10x44 tanks with "Chem Free" mechanical timer. I believe 3M makes the system for a few resellers. It's old, but still sold. I believe this system used BIRM and a venturi oxygenation system that appears to have been long-ago clogged.

The bypass valves are old and crusty, We may be able to get new guts and re-use the tanks...

I'm leaning towards greensand and potassium permanganate.

A plumber supply shop recommended using a GE water softener and greensand or media more directed at iron in it. This is so much cheaper.

We have 300 gallons of stock tanks on the property, I plan to not have it go thru the filtration system.
There are 3 people who use the water.

What do you think is the best in removing iron?

I think the heavier stuff may be a no-go because we don't have a huge flow rate... so greensand seems like the best compromise. I'm not planning to deal with the air injection system with BIRM media... and hydrogen peroxide seems like it might be hard to get. ozone also seems not right.

Last edited:
My MacClean worked well AFTER we started living in the house and running a lot of water. It did less well when it was a vacation home, and we were only there on weekends. My take is the thing needed to run, not sit.

As we were on a lake I didn't want to pollute the groundwater with salt from a softener or any other chemicals. So the Chem-Free is what we chose. Sold the home in April, but the system was 22 years old and working fine.

Did it do a perfect job? No, but it made the water tolerable for showering and other domestic use.

For drinking we installed a small point of use RO system under the kitchen sink. Now THAT water was fine.

Right now we are looking at the solid oxide with an air injector. Our flow rate is low enough that we have to go with the 9"diameter tanks rather than the 10"diameter.

I let a fitting be loose when looking at the stuff and water sprayed all over, so I've lost the confidence of my family to continue on the project for now, but I'm still trying to do the homework because I think it will pay for itself within a year.

Back