Removing Garbage Disposal From Double Sink In Kitchen

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdk0420

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm removing a garbage disposal and I was wondering if there is anything I should do to this setup instead of just straight piping it in place of the garbage disposal? I noticed with the garbage disposal clogged that I am getting some air lock in the other sink. Should I install a vent maybe? Under normal circumstances it shouldn't really have an air lock since the second sink is a vent itself. But wasn't sure what the norm is. Let me know what you think! Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20181003_000043311.jpg
    IMG_20181003_000043311.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20181003_000054208.jpg
    IMG_20181003_000054208.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 45
The only thing that should look different is adding a mechanical vent or studor vent. On the last loop down install a tee where the 180 is and install studor on top of tee. Hopefully Frodo is watching and can draw you a diagram. I not real good with phones and drawing.
Basically to only way to obtain a proper code vent. It needs vented after trap before dropping thru floor. But your disposal is installed correctly.

The only thing that should look different is adding a mechanical vent or studor vent. On the last loop down install a tee where the 180 is and install studor on top of tee. Hopefully Frodo is watching and can draw you a diagram. I not real good with phones and drawing.
Basically to only way to obtain a proper code vent. It needs vented after trap before dropping thru floor. But your disposal is installed correctly.

I was actually look at a vent today. But it said something like eliminating the need for a vent pipe... but I have a vent pipe so I didn't get it... Do I really need it for code if I already have vent piping?

You have an S trap which is illegal also you have no vent which means you need to install a mechanical air admittance valve. Put a tee on the pipe going down and above put a air admittance valve a drain needs to be vented after the Trap and yes you need a vent by codeScreenshot_20181004-063538.jpeg

You might have a vent below that s trap but the s trap creates an air lock. So you need a studor for the sink to begin to have a chance of operating like you want. First step is just that. We need to start of where your suppose to be. Then we check performance and make another diagnoses if needed.

You might have a vent below that s trap but the s trap creates an air lock. So you need a studor for the sink to begin to have a chance of operating like you want. First step is just that. We need to start of where your suppose to be. Then we check performance and make another diagnoses if needed.

There was no performance issue until the disposal stopped working and clogged. Not really a diagnosis for anything, I just figure I'd fix anything that isn't to code. I'm confused on this air vent thing though. So you need a vent for every sink? What about the toilet and shower? How do they prevent themselves from water logging? I guess I'll still get a vent but I'm not spending $45 on a studdor xD

Besides the vent, you mentioned n S trap. You mean how it goes from a trap, then goes down. That is illegal? How else am I supposed to do it in this setup? It would bring the pipe very low and awkward if I did a trap and then straight to the wall fitting (If I even have enough room honestly). Should I run a new pipe through the wall and down? Or is there another way to fix this S pipe situation

Nevermind I looked it up and I think I understand the concept. I really just need a little room after the first bend... any idea how much room? Don't have a lot to work with. I can probably just extend it out a bit more because this isn't a "True" S trap I can tell because it doesn't actually have the last bend. It makes that bend with one of those L pieces (Same piece I got to replace the disposal lol). So with a Tee and maybe a 1-2 inch extension, the vent on top and then cutting the bottom extension to fix, that should fix my "S" trap and vent issue?

Replace with a p trap into the tee

That isn't a true S trap though. It disconnects at the end of the "P" and doesn't form the S. From what I'm seeing I just need an extension (from my research it seems like 4" or so), the Tee, and the vent. Will probably have to cut the piece that extends out from the wall to compensate for the extension of the trap though. I'll buy these parts today and make it happen. I do want a confirmation on the 4" extension though. It was just some guide I found online when searching about it. Is 4" code or is that just recommended? I ask because I don't have a lot of room and it might be more like 2-3" instead.

Hello I am new to this. I have set up a strainer and a dishwasher attachment directly below (the hose I know goes onto the left attachment) and on the back wall is a correctly setup p trap. I am trying to finish the setup. Thanks so much.

Attachments

• 20200430_132300.jpg
    20200430_132300.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
Not sure but you should probably start your own thread on what you want to do. The picture you posted is
very blurry. Take a better picture and start your own thread.

Back