Removing deposits from toilet internals

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarg

Reaction score
Our toilet is about 40 years in service and usually functions OK.
Occasionally we need a slight - gentle plunge to assist the evacuation.
I noted a build up of a scale ... best described as what appears to be a pebble type build up directly below the tank flapper only visible when you lift the flapper and look in the cavity below with a flashlight. This build up appears to fill up about half the original volume. My concerns are build up in the internals of the toilet ... which is why I removed the water in the bowl and poured vinegar through the overflow pipe filling the bowl and letting it set for hours ..... all without much success.
Now I'm seeking a hydrocloric acid type "delimer" ... such as Rooto 3 in 1 . ( Over $60. a quart )

I'm wondering what the experts here would recommend to dissolve this build up. There are dozens of different "de-limeing" solutions with the hydrocloric acid and some must work better than others..... which may be a product of acid content percentage.

Any guidance from the experts on what works best ? ( The idea of pouring a $50+ quart of liquid down a toilet is a little disturbing. )

Our toilet is about 40 years in service and usually functions OK.
Occasionally we need a slight - gentle plunge to assist the evacuation.
I noted a build up of a scale ... best described as what appears to be a pebble type build up directly below the tank flapper only visible when you lift the flapper and look in the cavity below with a flashlight. This build up appears to fill up about half the original volume. My concerns are build up in the internals of the toilet ... which is why I removed the water in the bowl and poured vinegar through the overflow pipe filling the bowl and letting it set for hours ..... all without much success.
Now I'm seeking a hydrocloric acid type "delimer" ... such as Rooto 3 in 1 . ( Over $60. a quart )

I'm wondering what the experts here would recommend to dissolve this build up. There are dozens of different "de-limeing" solutions with the hydrocloric acid and some must work better than others..... which may be a product of acid content percentage.

Any guidance from the experts on what works best ? ( The idea of pouring a $50+ quart of liquid down a toilet is a little disturbing. )
Try mursyic acid. Available in pool supply stores and inexpensive.

Muriatic acid is a diluted form of Hydrocloric acid .... which must be why it is cheaper.

They make a descaler that you pour into a drained toilet tank and then you flush it and it gets
into the port holes of the bowl. I wish I could remember the name of it. Look online............

Poking a metal coat hanger into the little holes under the rim of the bowl is an old remedy.
Poke in the wire, and twist and wiggle to break up the calcium deposits that choke off those little holes.

You can also switch the flapper for one with a little dial or other methods to give you a longer flush.
The flapper drops more slowly, so more tank water has time to fill the bowl, and flush more vigorously.

You can also try running a toilet auger down into the bowl and through the toilet all the way.
Sometimes build up gets stuck in there, or dropped items like lipsticks or toys are causing a partial blockage.

Latest posts

Back