Removing bathtub faucet, stuck.. (next step) pics attached

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutshellml

Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to help out my father, the Hot faucet broke and is leaking an needs to be replaced. He believes it's just the valve but the company is no longer in business so we're thinking to replace both faucets. I've gotten this far, but not sure how to remove the actual faucet. I see a large "nut" toward the bottom, but unsure if that's what I need to turn. Any insight is appreciated. I can probably track down the manufacturer name even though it's out of business if that helps with troubleshooting.

Getting below is possible but not easy as it sits above a crawl space/shed.

Thanks for any info.

Attachments

• IMG_0107.jpg
    IMG_0107.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0108.jpg
    IMG_0108.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 20
I'm guessing he can't remove this chrome section of faucet due to a set screw in the side. Probably not backed off enough.???Chrome Faucet Piece.jpg

I'm guessing he can't remove this chrome section of faucet due to a set screw in the side. Probably not backed off enough.???View attachment 20215

So I looked at it and asked him. He said he removed the screw and it appeared to be out. This is 20+ years old. So are you saying that if that screw has been removed that entire silver faucet should pull up? maybe something fused (20+yrs)?

Also, the 3rd pic - that nut, he/we are unsure if we crank it is that supposed to come off. Not sure the actual inner-workings of the faucet.

Appreciate the help.

Well I don't know for for sure but the fact that there is a screw would indicate that it's to help remove something.
So does it just move up a small amount and stops? It looks like it has moved up some. Is it a hard stop(like metal to metal) when pulling up or a stuck stop?

It doesn't look like that nut you are referring to is keeping the faucet dropping down through the hole in the sink. What does it look like from below?

I'm think if it's that old that that the 2 faucets and the spout base is all one piece below.
But I may be all wet!

Typically you should be able to access the faucets cartridge or washer for replacement from the top.
What's leaking exactly? Is there water coming from the faucet handle or the spout?

Well I don't know for for sure but the fact that there is a screw would indicate that it's to help remove something.
So does it just move up a small amount and stops? It looks like it has moved up some. Is it a hard stop(like metal to metal) when pulling up or a stuck stop?

It doesn't look like that nut you are referring to is keeping the faucet dropping down through the hole in the sink. What does it look like from below?

I'm think if it's that old that that the 2 faucets and the spout base is all one piece below.
But I may be all wet!

Typically you should be able to access the faucets cartridge or washer for replacement from the top.
What's leaking exactly? Is there water coming from the faucet handle or the spout?

Some additional info:
  • The screw mentioned above has been totally removed, but nothing came off. Could it be "stuck" on?
  • The faucet itself is not leaking per se, what is wrong is that the it wouldn't turn ON, my father forced it on, when he tried to turn it off he heard a "crunching" sound and now it won't turn off / stuck in the open position.
  • Manufacturer is: Harden Brass (now out of business)
  • Valve is ceramic (supposedly not-standard)
To get underneath it's not easy, but can be done, I have to remove some insulation.

Sorry I didn't have complete info in the beginning

Well I don't know but I would try assuming it is stuck and try getting it unstuck. So you have a long short of getting it off and replacing the guts. If you can find them.
The other scenario would be it has to be replaced and it has to be accessible from the bottom and that possibly would be more than you want to take on.

It may be worth avoiding the headaches by just biting the bullet and call a plumber. Your call.

Thats when you take old reliable(sawzall) or dremel and start cuting (takes a steady and patient hand from the top)

If you decide to cut it make sure you put some type of heavy duct tape all around on the tub part so you don't
marr or scratch anything. And still do the cutting slowly.

Back