Removing a shower vent

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronml

Reaction score
I'm relocating a shower and need to remove the ABS vent stack. It runs vertically up through a wall and into the attic where it Tee's in to a horizontal run. The horizontal run eventually turns vertical and out through the roof. I plan to cut off the shower vent close to where it Tee's into the horizontal run and cap the Tee. The shower vent and drain below the Tee will be removed completely. I'm a bit concerned that by capping the Tee I am creating a small "basin" that rainwater coming into the stack would collect in. Should I be worried about this?

it could, you would need to ensure that there is somewhere else that the rainwater could drain too, if you intend to cap the horizomntal run then as long as its hooked up to another vent it will drain, otherwise ( capping a vertical line ) then yes it will collect rainwater. i assume you intend to properly vent your new shower? why not use the existing t branch for this perpose? you can toss 45's 90's etc on a vent as long as you dpnt leave depressions for the water to collect, vents are faily leaninet as far as code goes.

Thanks for the response. I would be capping the short vertical drop of the Tee so there would probably be about a 2 inch deep "basin" (roughly the depth of the cap) where rainwater could collect. Should I just cut out the Tee and replace it with a straight pipe? Or is there any kind of plug I could fit inside the the vertical drop and make it roughly even with the bottom of the horizontal pipe? The new shower is going where a bathtub is currently so there is already a vent there.

Latest posts

Back