Removing a faucet - what is this??

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frogdancer

Reaction score
I cannot figure out how to get this off. This is the main stem under the sink. Every other one I've seen just has a "nut" - sometimes its screwed on. This one was screwed on (I removed them) but it looks to be a hex seating or something, not a nut.

I cannot figure out how to get it off. I have tried prying it but I'm worried I will damage the sink.

Anyone ever see this before and can you help me out?

Attachments

• 36675FAC-94B3-4915-9DB4-D30614F63A69.jpeg
    36675FAC-94B3-4915-9DB4-D30614F63A69.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
  • 3B6C4B2D-65FD-4CEF-AC6C-903A353E7CE6.jpeg
    3B6C4B2D-65FD-4CEF-AC6C-903A353E7CE6.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
Maybe I’ve lost I even laying under the sink all day but im not following. Do you mean the metal stem or the black part?
I’ve tried unscrewing the black part but cannot get it to budge and no tools fit it (not a basin wrench etc). Plus it looks like it is over that metal hex part.
Please give me a little more info. Thanks.

The black part has the brass nut molded into it.

Unscrew the black part.

Or cut it all off if it won’t unscrew
8EDC6243-F3EF-4DB0-AC59-DAC35DDB1548.jpeg.

It looks like you can get a channelocks pliers or basin wrench to grab those two short posts on the black plastic ring, which will then be able to turn the brass nut.
If nothing will turn, hit the whole area with a few squirts of penetrating oil, such as Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster and let it soak in for a few hours.
Make sure you are turning lefty loosy counter clockwise.

I've had to encourage plastic nut, that refused to turn, with a torch.
But I don't recommend that method.

Thanks all - once you all confirmed that the whole piece had to screw off I ended up just drilling 2 holes in the plastic to get that part off. Once I got that off, the nut came off easily (I'm sure in part due to all the PB I had sprayed on it!)

Latest posts

Back