remove wall cap

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bcyes

Reaction score
does anyone know how to remove this venting wall cap?
there is no screw on the inside

rain cap.jpg

To remove that cap. You need a saw zall and a long metal blade
under the siding is a flange [see picture] the flange is nailed or screwed on.
stick the long blade up from the bottom and cut the screws/nails. pull the thing down.

Attachments

• rain cap.jpg
    rain cap.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 5
You can also just cut up through the overhanging vent with metal snips, and fold that back out of your way.

Now you would have good access to get an oscillating multi tool to cut out the flange parallel to the siding, similar to frodo’s sawzall instructions.

Thanks guys 🤝

dont'have that long blade handy, but have oscillating tool that i can try
not 100% sure if i understand it. do i need to cut any siding to reach the flange hidden behind it?

No need to cut siding.
There is pbly one screw in each corner which you can cut through the vent and then behind the square flange to cut.
There might not even be any fasteners.
Sometimes the vent hood is just held by being caulked or clamped inside the duct.

Just start cutting it up in pieces with the multi tool and yank out chunks with something like needle nose pliers.

You also never said WHY you want to remove this vent hood.

Thanks guys 🤝

dont'have that long blade handy, but have oscillating tool that i can try
not 100% sure if i understand it. do i need to cut any siding to reach the flange hidden behind it?
no...slide the long blade in-between the siding slats and cut the screws holding the flange
then slide the whole thing down and out

Back