Remove very old shower head

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linda

Reaction score
I've been absent for a while, but the forum has always been very helpful.

I have a very old shower head, I think it's a Kholer. Before I try to take it off and replace it, does anyone have some advice. Like, should I put some type of softener on the joint or WD40 it? I think it has old soft pipe dope and I know it hasn't been remove for at least 20 years.

Thanks for any help.

Linda

Just the head, or the arm extending in the wall?

The biggest concern is not scratching the finish and you grip down. I use an old leather belt with vice grips, but I know others use a small piece of inner tube, then clamping form with pliers or vice grips.

I've been absent for a while, but the forum has always been very helpful.

I have a very old shower head, I think it's a Kholer. Before I try to take it off and replace it, does anyone have some advice. Like, should I put some type of softener on the joint or WD40 it? I think it has old soft pipe dope and I know it hasn't been remove for at least 20 years.

Thanks for any help.

Linda
try open end wrenches I have had good luck with 7/8"

You need a strap wrench or similar tool, as mentioned above. It's not for the shower head, but to hold the pipe coming out of the wall. You can use a regular adjustable or open end wrench on the shower head itself. The idea is not to bend or damage the pipe coming out of the wall. Sorry if that's super obvious to everyone!

Back