Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiera

Reaction score
609FCC53-AFE2-4DCD-B9D0-3DCF1AAED8DF.jpeg 1AAA3570-2AE1-4ADF-92FE-BF285783DC1F.jpeg B6B49387-289F-442B-88DB-49BA5CA4FEF0.jpeg Hello all! I recently decided to take on the job of replacing the shower fixtures (save for the shower head) in my grandparents’ guest bathroom. The house was built in 1984 and still has its Delta 600 series shower handle and all. I’ve done my research and gotten all of my tools and materials together and plan on doing the job soon. My question is, how can I get an absolutely corroded tub spout off? I tried to get some pictures of the underside of it but it was more difficult than I imagined! Luckily my phone is water resistant because that thing drips like there’s no tomorrow. Anyway, the buildup is so bad that it has eaten straight through in some areas. I can’t even tell what kind of spout it is or how it attaches to the pipe. Will CLR do the trick, or do I need something different? I will attach my pictures here, please let me know if y’all need anymore information. I’m not looking forward to removing over 30 years of crud from the spout and cam nut :confused:
Thanks!

You may end up grinding off the old spout when it is that corroded. Start with small pieces, until you get to the threads in the back, and do not damage the pipe itself.

You may end up grinding off the old spout when it is that corroded. Start with small pieces, until you get to the threads in the back, and do not damage the pipe itself.
I thought that it might come to that. What do you recommend I use?

A hand held metal grinder or an oscillating vibration grinder with a carbide, half moon cutter.

Back