Remote controlled residential water shut-off system

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooklin

Reaction score
I am looking for a 'kit' that I can purchase for installation in my main water supply line that includes a sol. operated shut-off valve that I can open & close from a remote mounted switch conveniently installed along side my home security panel. This forms the basics of my wants & I am sure there will be other devices required to make this a functional system. I appreciate that there are numerous systems available on-line but my preference is for a basic unit, manually controllable & not reliant on bells & whistles to sense water leaks. If you are aware of a source I would greatly appreciate your letting me know. Thank-you. Stay safe.

I’ve done this before with a Parker normally open 1” solenoid.

Im sure there are more economical options.

Last edited:
Phyn is one brand. Outrageously priced imho.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/phyn-plus-smart-water-assistant-with-shutoff/6380930.p?skuId=6380930hA fairly new one went kaput after a few months and the company sent out a replacement but my customer still had to pay for my labor.
Not very nice to install because power is a puck then low v. to the unit. Nobody has 120V near service entrance outdoors around here...and wait until hell freezes over because, like in texas, we have pipes (and this unit) exposed at the front of the mansion.

Unless you have very high pressure I would think a sprinkler zone valve would work, unless there's some reason you aren't supposed to use them for potable water.

Unless you have very high pressure I would think a sprinkler zone valve would work, unless there's some reason you aren't supposed to use them for potable water.
Sprinkler zone valves require power to stay open. They’re not rated for continuous duty. Not to mention if the power goes out you lose water too....

The best option is a motorized ball valve. It only uses power when it’s actually being turned on off.

I am looking for a 'kit' that I can purchase for installation in my main water supply line that includes a sol. operated shut-off valve that I can open & close from a remote mounted switch conveniently installed along side my home security panel. This forms the basics of my wants & I am sure there will be other devices required to make this a functional system. I appreciate that there are numerous systems available on-line but my preference is for a basic unit, manually controllable & not reliant on bells & whistles to sense water leaks. If you are aware of a source I would greatly appreciate your letting me know. Thank-you. Stay safe.

Greatly appreciate the feedback from all of you. As previously indicated I much prefer to have a basic set-up for this purpose, not something with all the bell's & whistle's as they tend to breakdown when needed most. I plan on installing a ball valve, upstream from the existing Gate valve & installing a motorized actuator to physically open & close same on demand. I will install a selector switch along side the home security panel & when we leave the property we will select 'close', set the alarm & be happy. Not 24 hr. coverage but when used at night & when not at home it does come close to what I believe to be adequate.
Thanks again, Brooklin...

If you are going to consider something like that you probably want a "motorized ball valve" not a solenoid. Ensure that it's a full flow for the pipe size; if not, go up in size and use adapters. You don't want the unit impeding any flow. Do a search and you'll find plenty.

Most of them I've seen had a spring return, so you had to decide if you wanted normally open or normally closed, and whether 24VAC or 110.

Hadn't encountered these before, but they are pretty common. Here's one I found, https://www.amazon.com/BACOENG-Stainless-Motorized-Control-Electrical/dp/B00PVR7P6O/

They are rarely used in residential applications, but often in commercial. I had a number of them in the car wash I owned.

I also had a few pneumatically controlled ones, because they were used on high pressure lines. These lines were fed by a 25HP pump, pumped 20+ GPM and pressure was 1200PSI. They were not cheap but were very robust. Never had to rebuild or replace one.

Came across a system that fits the bill, reasonable price wise, relatively simple to install & not powered up when not in use. Econetshop.com Bulldog model describes it in detail what i intend to purchase & I will post the results when installed. Thanks to all, great forum & much appreciated.

Sprinkler zone valves require power to stay open. They’re not rated for continuous duty. Not to mention if the power goes out you lose water too....

The best option is a motorized ball valve. It only uses power when it’s actually being turned on off.
You think a sprinkler zone valve with a manual ball valve as a bypass (in case power goes out) is a good cheap alternative? I feel like I’ve seen it before.

You think a sprinkler zone valve with a manual ball valve as a bypass (in case power goes out) is a good cheap alternative? I feel like I’ve seen it before.
I don’t think sprinkler zone valves are rated for continuous duty. ( power applied all the time ) What do you think ?

Came across a system that fits the bill, reasonable price wise, relatively simple to install & not powered up when not in use. Econetshop.com Bulldog model describes it in detail what i intend to purchase & I will post the results when installed. Thanks to all, great forum & much appreciated.

Very interesting. NOT a motorized ball valve (integrated unit) but rather a motor FOR a ball valve. Novel concept...this could very easily be controlled by a simple WiFi controller and controlled by "Alexa" or any other similar system on your phone...

I like it.👍

https://www.econetshop.com/catalog/product/view/id/2047

I like how the picture shows sharkbite fittings on the 90°. That way it can swing down and k.o. some old lady walking under do the laundry.

Latest posts

Back