recommendations for high-quality hoses/fittings?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mzimmers

Reaction score
Hi all -

I moved into this place about a year ago. The water, from a community well, is not bad, but it's harder than my ex-wife's heart. I've decided to install a softener, along with some large (20") filters. I've looked through the copious offerings on Amazon, and I think I've found what I want to go with. Now, though, I need to figure out what to use for connecting everything.

Currently, there are two 1" copper pipes protruding from the garage wall. They're soldered to a Culligan system. I'll probably need a little less than 10' of total line run, from the wall to the (3) filters to the softener and back to the wall. The filters and softeners accept 1" ID pipe.

What would you recommend for this? My online searches have been surprisingly fruitless. Thank you for any recommendations or referrals.

Thanks, frodo. What materials would you use for the connections? Copper, PVC, other?

OK, I guess I can do that. Haven't done solder plumbing for some 20 years, but I don't imagine it's changed much. At least it's out in the open and not under a sink.

What's your opinion on those Sharkbite connectors? I know they're kind of pricey, but are they really leak proof?
Thanks again.

Is PVC OK for couplings (like unions)? I've read conflicting reports online as to its suitability for in-home use. Most of the discussion seems to focus on its ability to withstand heat, which wouldn't be an issue in this application.

I'm only asking about PVC because the other materials are harder to come by. I do want to "do this right."

Thanks...

Save PVC couplings for outside irrigation projects only. Use brass unions.

OK, thanks. If I use Sharkbite/PEX I suppose I don't really need unions anyway, as the pipe is removable, but I may put one in anyway.

My final concern is attaching to the stub-outs from the wall. They're 1" copper pipe, but they're not very long. I have 2 concerns about this:

1. if I push a Sharkbite on there, there's no way I'll have enough room behind it to ever remove it. Should I be concerned about this? I guess I could just destroy it to take it off.
  2. I cut away some of the sheetrock just to get a better look at what I'll be working with, and I see some kind of plastic sleeve around the pipe. Anyone know what this is? Do I need to be concerned about it when I'm sweating off the fitting to the stub?
Thanks...I'm getting closer.
2zji1si.jpg
IMG_0621.JPG

Back