Rebuilt Symmons Temptrol Dripping

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papa_omero

Reaction score
I have been doing some work in my bathroom and was planning to replace the 30 year old Symmons Temptrol show valve while I had access to the back of the shower wall. After looking at where I would be working, I decided I did not want to try and do the soldering necessary in the space available. Instead, I gutted the new valve and put all of the new parts into the old Temptrol body.

After completing this work, the unit drips from the spout - not too much, just a one or two second drip - unless you seriously crank down the handle. It was this way before I replaced all the parts and I'm disappointed and surprised that it still does this with the new seats and valve. What do you have to do to these valves to get them to shut off easily and completely?

Yes and no. The original handle was the three pointed kind but I replaced it with the newer, rounded, nickle finished one. The diver is underneath and moves left and right to activate the shower. This is the basic Temptrol valve.

I think I mentioned "Instead, I gutted the new valve and put all of the new parts into the old Temptrol body." I mean all the parts, seats, valve, diverter and anything else replaceable. For all tense and purposes, this is a completely new Temptrol valve.

i did read that you gutted the valve... I would recommend pulling the stem out....and the hot/cold seats...and either flush the valve out with water or vac it out sometimes there are small bits of brass check the hot seat(small one) for nicks an the cold seat for imperfections...chec the o ring on the cold seat grease both seats up and reinstall
there is a stainless ring on the stem its about half way down the stem that has threads make sure that's tight grease the stainless ring and the shaft part of the stem and the knurled part where the handle fits on...never know what a little grease can do....I have heard of this happening once before ...call symmons industries they are in Braintree mass they have a great tech support staff if you run into the same issue.....I have rebuilt probably hundreds of these valves there are 2 different versions on this campus
they are bullet proof

Back