rear discharge toilet install

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well,FRODO,there appears to be just 1 1/4 in. of pipe under the hub to the floor and cutting it with my angle grinder wouldn't be hard. BUT,the problem,as I see it,is that when that fitting was installed 30+ years ago,it was well "slathered" with concrete so after cutting off the hub,I'd have to clean off that concrete so the coupling would fit wouldn't I?
is there a problem with putting a PVC street tee into a hub with a "donut"? (provided I can get the old stuff out of the hub!) that would seem to be the easier way to go.

tnx,

LOL.....yeah man, your going t think easy when you try and put that tee in that hub.

buy a gasket called eztite from plumbing supply.

use plenty of soap, you might wanna grind the wall of that tee couple thousands

castiron 4'' od 4.50 ,
pvc sch 40 od 3.50

just say'n

no,no FRODO, I didn't say it was going to be EASY,just EASIER! :D I've got no illusions that this will be a "walk in the park". I'm just afraid that cutting the hub off will get me into a "can of worms" and will result in a "mess"!
I'll take some pix when I get this done which may be soon (or not). :)

tnx,

the guy that sold me the street san-tee says my ez-tite gasket should go into the hub 1st then "bang in" the tee after slathering lots of dish soap on the inside of the ez-tite and the tee...

well, it looks like I've got only one more question before tackling this: when I put the new shielded coupling on to connect the new "santee" to the "clean-out), how much "gap" should I leave between the PVC and ABS pipe? (you know,so the rubber gasket inside the shielded coupling can make a good seal) or should the two pipes actually butt up to each other or does it matter at all?

tnx,

here's the situation right now:
I got the previous contents of the hub out (which wasn't all that easy) and inserted the donut then the "santee" and proceeded try to hammer it in...well,that didn't work well!:confused: the santee didn't go in much (and my "assistant" was getting disillusioned :( most fortunately (thank you Jesus!) this stack is located at an excellent spot with the foundation wall right behind it so I bored a 1/2 inch hole in the concrete,put some 1/2 in. rebar in the hole.and put a 2 ton hydraulic in there between the santee and the rebar and pumped the jack. voila! now the santee goes into the hub just fine right to where it needs to be! unfortunately,when I remove the jack,the santee slides up about a 1/2 in. (it won't stay at the correct depth) what to do? help FRODO!

santee.jpg

take the tee out and grind the sides. it is coming back out because the annular space between the two pipes is past the point of full

it is spitting the fitting out. did you use soap

if you had a riser clamp, this would be a good spot for it

icon (1).gif

the installation of the "santee" is done I think.
the plug on the new pvc cleanout leaks. should I use thread sealer?

santee finish.jpg

got a question..what is leaking out of the clean out cover?

and. where are you putting the toilet?

first,let me thank you FRODO, for all your expert help!:)

now then,the plug leaks only a little and it looks like clear water.

the toilet will be sitting at a right angle to the "santee" and probably not more than 3-4 ft. away.

first,let me thank you FRODO, for all your expert help!:)

now then,the plug leaks only a little and it looks like clear water.

the toilet will be sitting at a right angle to the "santee" and probably not more than 3-4 ft. away.

so, you are using your main sewer line as a vent for the toilet you just installed ?

after you set the toilet. watch the water in the bowl

it will move up and down, and sometimes it will even disappear

so, you are using your main sewer line as a vent for the toilet you just installed ?

after you set the toilet. watch the water in the bowl

it will move up and down, and sometimes it will even disappear

no,actually that stack is the vent. let me explain: the stack runs up and drains the kitchen sink and dishwasher then it runs horizontal and drains a main floor toilet,2 sinks and the washer then goes up through the roof to vent to the atmosphere.(I know that because I could hear the wind outside through the open stack) I guess you plumbers would call this a "wet vent". besides that vent,there will be another in the form of an AAV located under my sink about 6 ft. from the new toilet.

tnx,

Sorry to bring up an old post but do you have a picture of the final set up? I'm looking at doing the same thing as you? Thanks

Latest posts

Back