Random toilet running and weak flushing. Kohler cartridge style flush valve.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, thanks all for your help. Kohler sent me a couple new gaskets for the bottom of the valve. As i mentioned above, they said they had a bad bathctch of gaskets made with tiny bubbles in the rubber that were small enough to not get noticed but big enough to cause slow leaks in the tank. Anyway, 3 days now with no running toilet.

Even though the chain length has never been messed with, i added two links to the chain to try and resolve the flushing power. Unfortunately, that hasn't resolved that issue. I did an extra cleaning of the ports around the top inside of the bowl for water to enter the bowl and that didn't seem to have much of an effect either.

So that's where I stand now. Thank you all for your help. Stay safe!

Bryan

The attachment point of the flush lever can often rotate slightly in the sloppy hole it goes through in the side of the tank.

This can happen if the mounting nut is not tight enough, or if someone pushes the flush lever down too hard.

This rotation will make the chain tighter.

FYI the mounting nut is reverse threaded.

This was probably already mentioned, but make sure the water is set to the correct level in the tank.
There should be a mark or indicator on the inside back of the tank.
If it already is set correctly, try going higher, as long as you don’t go over the CL line on the shaft of the fill valve, or any drain holes or the flush lever.

Latest posts

Back