Random plumbing pics

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smart idea IMHO. Before rerouting my A/C into the attic, I had a condensate drain plug up, and it flooded 3 rooms before I caught it. I had the home warranty and figured, "no skin on my butt", until they told me that condensate line clogs are a maintenance item, and this was not covered under my free year home warranty policy. I now have a high water alarm, which is A/C and right into the drain pan, so if water collects, it will start screaming like a little school girl.20151111_090347_resized.jpg

This type is what I usually see at client’s houses with a furnace in the attic.
Sometimes the float is just a small
block of styrofoam.
They work well, except they can be knocked off of level pretty easily if they get kicked, or bumped while moving storage around up there.
I also always talk them into putting a water alarm sensor into the pan, with the main unit high and dry.
Some are just alarms, others connect to wifi or home alarm system.

https://www.amazon.com/ACS-2-Auxiliary-Condensate-Overflow-Shut-off/dp/B000JGH2TM

Smart idea IMHO. Before rerouting my A/C into the attic, I had a condensate drain plug up, and it flooded 3 rooms before I caught it. I had the home warranty and figured, "no skin on my butt", until they told me that condensate line clogs are a maintenance item, and this was not covered under my free year home warranty policy. I now have a high water alarm, which is A/C and right into the drain pan, so if water collects, it will start screaming like a little school girl.View attachment 32868
You might want to add a battery powered water alarm also.
The house power can go out, meanwhile you can get a water leak if you have a humidifier on that furnace.
Sometimes the solenoid valve can malfunction or a water line fitting can pop, letting water run continuously, and can overwhelm a slow condensate drain.

I have a updraft heat pump in a closet in the hallway. Safety switch wires into the yellow or red thermostat wire.

Installs on the secondary drain outlet.

Where on the AC do you install the Rectorseal thing?
I don't know too much about my condensate line other than it dumps under my house & has been eroding the ground to the point that one of the support stones dropped over a foot, AC doesn't work right if the cap falls off the pipe near the internal AC unit, and sometimes I have to pour bleach down the line to clear it. (Next time I'm getting lemon scented bleach).
Not sure why the bleach is necessary, but after using it in the line the AC worked better. I'd been getting freezes and ice build up so making sure the cap was on and line was clear seemed to help for some reason. One of these days I'll read up on how it works.

Where on the AC do you install the Rectorseal thing?
I don't know too much about my condensate line other than it dumps under my house & has been eroding the ground to the point that one of the support stones dropped over a foot, AC doesn't work right if the cap falls off the pipe near the internal AC unit, and sometimes I have to pour bleach down the line to clear it. (Next time I'm getting lemon scented bleach).
Not sure why the bleach is necessary, but after using it in the line the AC worked better. I'd been getting freezes and ice build up so making sure the cap was on and line was clear seemed to help for some reason. One of these days I'll read up on how it works.

My unit has an extra drain port. It’s a little higher than the primary drain so it doesn’t get water unless the primary drain clogs.

So I removed the plug in the extra drain port and installed it there. Now if the primary drain fails it’ll back up into my cut off switch and shut the unit down.

Twowax, any pics of where the rectorseal thing goes? Sounds like it might be similar to the setup I have where there is a drain higher up with a cap.

Oh man, I thought it was bad the way my friend ran his pex lines under his house-- sitting on the ground and somewhat poking out from underneath. That takes the cake. Something they would do around here I bet.

I know it's a drawing, but I just watched a program about the Aztecs and how they built a series of islands (called Chinampas) on a salt water lake- forming a city called Tenochtitlan- so they could live and farm on the little islands. They created complex aquaducts to transport fresh water from the hills on nearby lands. They used stone and clay for the on land part and used hollow wood over the lake.
1641137787169.png1641137960576.png
They built the islands by sinking wood stakes into the ground of the lake, putting down reed mats topped with grass, plants, and mud until they were solid enough to walk on and allow planting.

Pretty neat, IMO.

I know it's a drawing, but I just watched a program about the Aztecs and how they built a series of islands (called Chinampas) on a salt water lake- forming a city called Tenochtitlan- so they could live and farm on the little islands. They created complex aquaducts to transport fresh water from the hills on nearby lands. They used stone and clay for the on land part and used hollow wood over the lake.
View attachment 32923View attachment 32924
They built the islands by sinking wood stakes into the ground of the lake, putting down reed mats topped with grass, plants, and mud until they were solid enough to walk on and allow planting.

Pretty neat, IMO.

Then they changed the name and called it Louisiana. 🤡

Sadly, I think the Aztecs were smarter and had better technology. LOL. At least they had the sense to build above the lake instead of in a bowl that floods constantly.

Back