Quick Question gas line for stove

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1oldpops

Reaction score
Hello all. Newbie here. I have a quick question a gas line hook up to a residential kitchen: The gas fitting behind our stove looks like a 1/2" but the inlet fitting on the back of the stove is 3/4" inch. Would using a flex line gas hose with a 1/2" inch fitting on one side (the wall) going to a 3/4" inch fitting on the stove cause any issues? Does this set-up reduce the stoves operating ability? Would it be better to use a 1/2" diameter inch gas flex line with a step up/adapter to a 3/4" inch connection(to mate with the stove) be better to use? Or would it be better to use a 3/4" inch diameter gas flex line with a reducer/step-down to 1/2" inch? Or does it even matter? I hope someone here can help with an answer. Let me say thanks in advance to all who offer help & advice!

Thanks 'havasu'! I was just wondering if using there was a 'wrong size' hose or adapter and/or that it would reduce the stove's cooking efficiency.

I would certainly check the integrity of your existing flex line before making that decision. I recently had a new HE dryer installed, which the delivery guys demanded that i purchase a new gas line. It was a 1/2" yellow flex line, and came with a 3/4" adapter. The same with a high output stove the year before. I assume just another way to get you for $15, but it is peace of mind to have new connections to my appliances.

I would certainly check the integrity of your existing flex line before making that decision. I recently had a new HE dryer installed, which the delivery guys demanded that i purchase a new gas line. It was a 1/2" yellow flex line, and came with a 3/4" adapter. The same with a high output stove the year before. I assume just another way to get you for $15, but it is peace of mind to have new connections to my appliances.
Thanks, and YES I plan on getting a new line. I just wanted to know if I should 'upsize' the line since the connector on the stove is 3/4" inch

Last edited:
IMHO, there is little difference with volume, but really hinders pushing it all the way back against the wall using a 3/4" flex line

IMHO, there is little difference with volume, but really hinders pushing it all the way back against the wall using a 3/4" flex line
Hmmm...so you're thinking is that it would be best to just use a 1/2" inch (id) flex line (with adapter coupler)? That works for me, unless I didn't understand you correctly

Well, I used a 1/2" inch gas line and turning 7 of the 8 burners on at once was fine. Got a bit of a whistle when we turned the 8th burner on. Am I correct in thinking I should upsize the line from the wall valve to the back of the stove?

Well, they say it's a professional stove but it is designed for residential use. I wonder if a 5/8" inch outer diameter hose would work(instead of the 1/2" inch line I have)? I have tried looking for a 3/4" inch flex line that's at least 5 feet long/60" inches, but so-fat no luck. If anyone knows a source, please let me know. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back