Question regarding installation

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Estam

Reaction score
I am installing a shower faucet and have the drywall removed exposing the vertical studs and am attempting to physically install the Delta Faucet MultiChoice R10000-UNBXHF Universal Shower Valve Body. I am finding installation instructions are little confusing to say the least. I will be replacing the drywall and building a membrane using 1/4" Hardie backer board on the three walls and floor then tiling. I understand that I have to install a cross piece between the studs to screw the valve base to and my question is that the face of the silver bezel seems to have to be flush with either the hardie backer board or flush with the tile. The black plastic square part that clips to the valve housing, not quite sure what it's for. My concern is once the drywall, hardie board and tile is up it's a bit late to find it should have been 1/4" further out. Hoping there are a few that have done this and point me in the right direction. Many thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040YQ218/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

or, according to *many* of the PROS on here, return that one, and get a MOEN.....?? just what I have derived, from watching posts on this forum, for a while.....???

I’m a pusher for Moen products personally but I’m more of a pusher for using well known brands like Moen, Delta or American Standard etc....

If I see someone installing a cheap budget brand of faucet i will always try and sway their decision to avoid future problems.

Also, that black plastic square piece is your depth guide. You want to make it so the front of that guide is going to be roughly flush with the finished wall. It doesn’t have to stay on after installation, as it’s just to help you set the valve. It’s also square so you can put a level on it.

From what I can picture in my head it sounds like you need to bring the valve ahead

I understand the the black plastic square needs to be flush with the finished wall and thanks for that.
No what do you mean Matt30 by:

"From what I can picture in my head it sounds like you need to bring the valve ahead"

Many thanks...

From my experience installing those valves the retaining nut is usually sticking further out of the wall than you described. So it sounds like you may have to physically move the shower valve forward to get the correct depth.

If you’re using the depth guide and it’s flush with the finished wall, then disregard my comment

Great thanks, I will arrange the plastic guide flush with the finished wall.
After finishing the membrane and the tiling would be a bit late to have to then move the valve body.
Thanks for your input,
Best regards..

Thanks for all your help regarding the installation of the rough, all went well.
I am now trying to choose the shower base. There are many to choose from and am looking for a 32 x 60 base with right drain and will tile down to it. Looking for a reasonably economical one and would like some pointers as to what to watch out for. Again, many thanks for any suggestions.

Go with a quality name brand base, and get something you can feel in a store before you buy it.

Shower bases these days are made sooooo so so flimsy they are basically a show piece. Make sure you get a good sturdy one that doesn’t flex when you stand in it. Otherwise you will have leaks around your drain.

I’m not sure what brands are available in your area, but where I plumb from I often favor Maxx products.

Latest posts

Back