Question posed out of curiosity regarding AquaPex / Uponor

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeralmac

Reaction score
Hey plumbing community, I'm a skilled DIY'er and have come across something in my local area I'd love to gain some insight to. I'm currently working on a fully gutted master bathroom DIY reno and am at the step of ordering the PEX to re-route some fixtures and run a 3/4 recirc return line back to basement. The house was originally built in 2003 and is plumbed with what was WIRSBO AQUAPEX and to my understanding, is now Uponor. I've read up extensively on how to work with this Type A material and it looks very straightforward.

My question is this: I've called around to 3 different prominent supply houses and they won't sell to me. I've heard 3 times "Sorry, we don't sell to the DIY community, you must be an licensed plumber to install AquaPex. Is this just a ploy to ensure that local plumbers continue to have jobs? Why else would they not sell to me?

And secondly, does anyone have any tips on how to get a hold of it?

Thanks in advance!

Jeralmac

You have to have a special tool for the fittings, etc. You may want to look up videos on how it installs.

Yep, fully aware of that and have done extensive research and video watching. I have an expansion tool that covers 3/8 to 1 in. I'm just here to find out why places are not selling to me....

@jeralmac : To &^% with the snotty attitude and "you can't possibly do this unless you are a licensed plumber" nonsense from Uphonor or Wirsbo or whatever they are calling themselves these days. There are absolutely, positively a number of places on eBay that have some of these fittings and materials. Ditto for Amazon, so you don't need those local vendors...and on Amazon and eBay they'll take your money w/o checking to see if you passed the certification.

This is tantamount to anybody NOT selling you copper fittings and tubing unless you passed a sweat solder test...puleeeze....

Now that being said, why don't you just complete your project with commonly available PEX tubing and fittings? There are a number of great suppliers out there online that stock every manner of PEX tubing and fitting you'll need. Prices are great, service too.

Make your life easier...

https://www.supplyhouse.com/https://www.pexsuperstore.com
And of course Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, or whatever big box happens to be near you...and standbys Amazon and eBay as well.

Thanks to all, and specifically Mitchell - I have since ordered everything I need! I've actually found a local non-snobby supplier that carried most of what I was after and found the rest at Supplyhouse (2 day shipping, score!)

Thanks again, love this forum and its community.

I could only imagine the horror if when I went to the commercial gas supply, they would have refused to exchange my Acetylene B tank because "I didn't have a license"...;)

Yes, old-school Dad gave me a prestolite air-acetylene torch head and B tank about 30 years ago. Just never moved to MAPP...

Thanks to all, and specifically Mitchell - I have since ordered everything I need! I've actually found a local non-snobby supplier that carried most of what I was after and found the rest at Supplyhouse (2 day shipping, score!)

Thanks again, love this forum and its community.
Thank you for calling us wholesalers snobby. Means a lot. You have no idea what we deal with. I get calls from a regular client looking for pricing on an ABC item in D color. It's not a usual thing. Then a homeowner calls looking for pricing on the same thing, wanting contractor pricing (trying to undercut his contractor. Who's interest do you think I am going to protect?

Hey, listen - I get it. I've worked in IT for the past 25 years and I've run across countless situations dealing with people that have various amounts of computer ignorance. Sometimes, pushing me to frustration. Like I tell my kids on a regular basis, it's not what you say, it's how you say it.

To me, the difference is in tone. I "complained" about 2 of these plumbing suppliers, not because they couldn't help me but because they were unkind and insolent. So I take back what I said, they were not snobby. They were complete d!cks. They could have simply (and kindly) said, I'm sorry - we don't sell to non-licensed plumbers because A..B...C..... And I would have said, "Thank you very much for your time" and moved on. This world (and this country as of late) needs more tolerance, kindness and respect IMO.

And further, look at what happened. I had two negative experiences with a couple of suppliers (First Supply and Dakota Supply) and then had one good one (Ferguson's). The guy at Ferguson was courteous and helpful. It's possible that he spent about 10-15 more seconds than usual to help this non-licensed plumber make a decision on some couplers but here's the thing, I now know where to send my business. I was going to buy my $2900 worth of fixtures from Amazon but I'm now planning to buy them from Ferguson. Same price, MUCH better experience.

I should also add that I do realize that my initial post did not indicate the insolence from a couple of these people. That's why I'm saying it now, to describe why I called them snobs.....

Last edited:
Thank you for calling us wholesalers snobby.

Are you a plumber--going out on calls and fixing things? Or, are you a wholesaler standing behind a counter? Some of the online sellers have hotlines and will help out the novice...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but not entitled to their own facts. When one has something to sell, and they won't sell it for whatever reason, there will be somebody else to step in and make up for their shortcomings. For every plumbing wholesaler NOT wanting to sell this sacred Wirsbo/Uphonor "special PEX", there are a number of retailers online, at Amazon, or on eBay willing to step up and help. So, who's the winner and who's the loser? The customer is the winner and those who served him well are winners too. @jeralmac did just that and his needs were satisfied.

We're here on the forum to help, and any attempts to explain or justify the actions of someone in the [wholesale] trade versus helping out someone who comes here looking for help, doesn't help! I offered a solution, not an excuse. He went with one of the solutions, and he was helped. Problem solved. The losers? The two plumbing supply houses that need their attitude checked.

I get that Wirsbo or Uphonor or whoever they are, wants to "protect" the trade, but they are fighting a losing battle in a business model that's proven not to work. There's nothing that special about this product. This isn't rocket science. PEX in any of its forms, is pretty darn cheap per foot, and readily available. Old school plumbers may not like it so much when compared to copper, but it's here to stay. There are just three ways to fasten PEX: crimp, push and compression. All of them are pretty easy to learn, and a novice may make a mistake or two the first time with any of the fastening methods. Learn and move on.

I have purchased product from a number of plumbing wholesalers, and all of them have been far more helpful to me than retailers, because they know the products. Ditto for electrical wholesalers. And, the wholesale/retail thing has a playing field leveled by online shopping. While I may not have been offered the same pricing from the wholesalers as a tradesperson, the pricing given to me was competitive compared to any other source. My most recent experience earlier this summer, was one of the big box stores was "picked clean" due to the pandemic. I went to the wholesaler; they had what I wanted, the price was better than the big box, and moreover, they had inventory. "Next time", they said, "come here first, OK?" You betcha I'll be back!

Very happy that @jeralmac found a friend at the local Ferguson. Where I once lived, there was a huge Ferguson plumbing supply. They closed it in the area, instead focusing on showrooms for appliances and such, and less on the pipe and fittings...but where there is one, it's a place I would visit based upon experience.

Are you a plumber--going out on calls and fixing things? Or, are you a wholesaler standing behind a counter? Some of the online sellers have hotlines and will help out the novice...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but not entitled to their own facts. When one has something to sell, and they won't sell it for whatever reason, there will be somebody else to step in and make up for their shortcomings. For every plumbing wholesaler NOT wanting to sell this sacred Wirsbo/Uphonor "special PEX", there are a number of retailers online, at Amazon, or on eBay willing to step up and help. So, who's the winner and who's the loser? The customer is the winner and those who served him well are winners too. @jeralmac did just that and his needs were satisfied.

We're here on the forum to help, and any attempts to explain or justify the actions of someone in the [wholesale] trade versus helping out someone who comes here looking for help, doesn't help! I offered a solution, not an excuse. He went with one of the solutions, and he was helped. Problem solved. The losers? The two plumbing supply houses that need their attitude checked.

I get that Wirsbo or Uphonor or whoever they are, wants to "protect" the trade, but they are fighting a losing battle in a business model that's proven not to work. There's nothing that special about this product. This isn't rocket science. PEX in any of its forms, is pretty darn cheap per foot, and readily available. Old school plumbers may not like it so much when compared to copper, but it's here to stay. There are just three ways to fasten PEX: crimp, push and compression. All of them are pretty easy to learn, and a novice may make a mistake or two the first time with any of the fastening methods. Learn and move on.

I have purchased product from a number of plumbing wholesalers, and all of them have been far more helpful to me than retailers, because they know the products. Ditto for electrical wholesalers. And, the wholesale/retail thing has a playing field leveled by online shopping. While I may not have been offered the same pricing from the wholesalers as a tradesperson, the pricing given to me was competitive compared to any other source. My most recent experience earlier this summer, was one of the big box stores was "picked clean" due to the pandemic. I went to the wholesaler; they had what I wanted, the price was better than the big box, and moreover, they had inventory. "Next time", they said, "come here first, OK?" You betcha I'll be back!

Very happy that @jeralmac found a friend at the local Ferguson. Where I once lived, there was a huge Ferguson plumbing supply. They closed it in the area, instead focusing on showrooms for appliances and such, and less on the pipe and fittings...but where there is one, it's a place I would visit based upon experience.
I have been on both sides of the counter, thank you.

Back