Question on ELMWOOD thermal switch on Honeywell water heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjch512

Reaction score
he ELMWOOD thermal switch was broken on our Honeywell waterheater. We use black tape to hold it for now. Please see photos below. Can someone please let me know

(1) Is the copper hex nut (pointed by red arrow) used to hold the thermal switch? Google doesn't show ELMWOOD thermal switch uses hex nut to hold it.
(2) I couldn't find where to buy exast ELMWOOD thermal switch. Any suggestions where I can find it?

Thanks & regards.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 0
Honeywell does not make water heaters, just the 'controls'.
You can call the mfr of the WH to get a part number or look via the mfrs documentation on the web for your model.
Then with part number in hand, you typically will have to find a plumbing wholesale shop who may have to order it if the WH is more than 6 y.o.
Most all WH have 6 yr parts warranty, which would be sent out for free by the mfr.

Honeywell does not make water heaters, just the 'controls'.
You can call the mfr of the WH to get a part number or look via the mfrs documentation on the web for your model.
Then with part number in hand, you typically will have to find a plumbing wholesale shop who may have to order it if the WH is more than 6 y.o.
Most all WH have 6 yr parts warranty, which would be sent out for free by the mfr.
Thank you.

I removed the thermal switch from water heater. It has a 4" probe attached to it. Please see pic below. The part number on this ELMWOOD thermal switch is not very clear. It looks like "2450CMG7759-3 L450 N1121". I googl it but couldn't find. Anyone knows this is correct part #?

I found a similar thermal switch from eBay below. I can order it with different temp range from 125-140F to 195-210F. Which temp range is right for Honeywell water heater?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232609123785?var=532027966511
Thanks & regards.

Attachments

• thermal-switch.jpg
    thermal-switch.jpg
    962.2 KB · Views: 0
What's on the other side of that sheet metal it's screwed into? Can't tell if that brass piece is part of the switch or something the switch screws into. Is there a sticker on the hot water heater that gives more information on manufacturer, model, serial, etc?

What's on the other side of that sheet metal it's screwed into? Can't tell if that brass piece is part of the switch or something the switch screws into. Is there a sticker on the hot water heater that gives more information on manufacturer, model, serial, etc?
It’s the burn chamber behind there. That’s a temp sensor that trips and interrupts the thermocouple circuit when the burn chamber gets too hot for any reason.

The sticker on water heater shows:

MODEL NUMBER: GS650HBRT 301
GAS TYPE: PROPANE
CAPACITY: 50.0

Looks like it’s a State water heater based off the number you posted.

State is owned by AO Smith now. So is American, us Craftmaster and a whole list more.

You can probably google the model number and probably find the parts diagram online. Or call State and get their tech support on the phone.

Looks like it’s a State water heater based off the number you posted.

State is owned by AO Smith now. So is American, us Craftmaster and a whole list more.

You can probably google the model number and probably find the parts diagram online. Or call State and get their tech support on the phone.
I google the model number yesterday but couldn't find right part # for this broken thermal switch. But I found the following webset that says the temp range for water heater thermal switch is 160-200F. I then found a similar part from Walmart. Both web links are attached below.

(1) Thermal Switch (TCO):
http://waterheatertimer.org/What-is-a-TCO.html
(2) Thermal Switch from Walmart:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/140-F-21...emperature-Thermostat-Sensor-Switch/966572665

I google the model number yesterday but couldn't find right part # for this broken thermal switch. But I found the following webset that says the temp range for water heater thermal switch is 160-200F. I then found a similar part from Walmart. Both web links are attached below.

(1) Thermal Switch (TCO):
http://waterheatertimer.org/What-is-a-TCO.html
(2) Thermal Switch from Walmart:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/140-F-21...emperature-Thermostat-Sensor-Switch/966572665
got the serial number? I can look it up for you

got the serial number? I can look it up for you
Thank you for your help. The begining part of the number on the broken ELMWOOD thermal switch is not very clear but it looks like "2450CMG7759-3 L450 N1121".

The Honeywell water heater model number is GS650HBRT 301. I contacted Honeywell but their email states "Unfortunately, Honeywell no longer manufactures those type of commercial Thermals. No suggested replacement" :-(

It's highly appreciated if you could help with it. Thank you.

I know what I would do if that was my personal water heater.

Good luck, if anyone can help you it’ll be ShePlumber

Thank you for your help. The begining part of the number on the broken ELMWOOD thermal switch is not very clear but it looks like "2450CMG7759-3 L450 N1121".

The Honeywell water heater model number is GS650HBRT 301. I contacted Honeywell but their email states "Unfortunately, Honeywell no longer manufactures those type of commercial Thermals. No suggested replacement" :-(

It's highly appreciated if you could help with it. Thank you.
I need the serial number of the water heater. It should be on the sticker of the water heater. The white one with the model number and other pertinance

I don't understand. It shows the thermal switch attached along with the rest of the parts.
They don’t sell it separately, and the OP just wants that one part. Deadlock. Either the company cares enough about the sale and their reputation that they’ll sell (or, heck, give) him the individual part or the consumer will have to buy the whole assembly. Guess who wins?

Latest posts

Back