Is a sink booster pump needed?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOATMON

Reaction score
Ok...so here is my challenge:

Question 1: Do I even need a Booster Pump? - I'm attempting to install a drain pipe and I only have a 5" drop (no pitch) over a 74" run. Basically it will act as a long P-Trap. My rise pipe from bottom of floor to male end of sink drain is 22" and my rise 74" away from sink from floor to outlet is 17". I don't have any pitch room for my 74" run as I am between a concrete base floor and an elevated wood floor with only 1 1/2" height.

Question 2: In the likely event I will need a booster/sump pump, is an under counter direct connect pump better than a pump in a tank or is the tank option the better way to go. I'm leaning towards the pump in the tank option.

Question 3: Should either pump option be my solution, I would need a side outlet discharge that 90's downward towards the floor. My application is not a upward discharge so my concern is that the head pressure will be too great for a side discharge that will run horizontally about 8" and then 90 elbow downward towards floor another approx. 14" (depending on height of side discharge) then 90's again to run a level 74" (between concrete floor and wood floor) to another 90 elbow which runs up about 17" to 90 elbow into a properly pitched drain pipe stubbed through side wall under counter. So total in all I will have (4) 90 elbows in a level 74" run with roughly a 5" elevation drop from sink drain to drain pipe opening.

Any help in the above would be greatly appreciated!!!!

You only need approximately 1.5” of drop for a 74” (approx. 6’) run

Thanks for responding. Just so that I'm understanding....1.5" drop have to happen over the length of the 74" run or just so long as there is a drop it can occur at the connection points?

If you're saying I don't need a booster pump, then the 74" level length of run will technically act as the bottom of the "P-trap". Would you advise I comeup with a way of being able to access this run in the future for clean out and maintenance? I'm presuming there would be a build up of muck that would settle in the horizontal drain pipe over time which could restrict the flow causing slow draining????

Just so everyone is on the same page, I would recommend taking and posting pictures or drawings exactly what you are attempting to accomplish so the professionals could help you correctly.

Just so everyone is on the same page, I would recommend taking and posting pictures or drawings exactly what you are attempting to accomplish so the professionals could help you correctly.
Thanks..sorry...I attached my rough sketch.

Attachments

• Front Bar Plumbing Sketch.jpg
    Front Bar Plumbing Sketch.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 4
Are there any experts that would know how to resolve this draining challenge? Again, I have fixed obstacles that I am dealing with and can't be moved. I know draining the sink is a possibility but looking to the experts for recommendations. I'd rather reduce the amount of time on the "trial and error" period as much as possible.

What would be your work around? The installation of a undersink pump assist?
Yes.Or you could move the sink which would be best, but you still need a vent. So get a pump, but it needs to be pulled different than you have drawn.

Yes.Or you could move the sink which would be best, but you still need a vent. So get a pump, but it needs to be pulled different than you have drawn.
I already have a vent in line with the drain pipe that I'm connecting to. My only option is to pump sideways, then down. Do you recommend I use a pump in a tank?

I already have a vent in line with the drain pipe that I'm connecting to. My only option is to pump sideways, then down. Do you recommend I use a pump in a tank?
There is not other option of moving sink location, floor height, or drain connection. They are all fixed.

So I have the boost pump with basin. I have a vent hole in top of basin cover but no where to run a vent as I already have a vent in the drain line about 6 feet away. Can I cap the vent hole or pipe it back into under the trap on the side inlet of the pump basin?

Latest posts

Back