PVC under slab

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Since my problem has already been repaired, I really don't need an answer as much as I want to vent. You see, I recently had my vacation home repiped in PEX. While testing the plumbing under pressure, the contractor found that I had a pretty serious leak somewhere in my irrigation line. After hours of tracking down and isolating lines, he discovered that a 3/4" PVC tee fitting had cracked. This PVC fitting was 30" down, directly in the center of my backyard patio slab. To avoid a botch patch job, I authorized him to jack the entire concrete slab out, fix the problem correctly, and repour the concrete. He is adding french drainage and some other trick stuff, but he had to remove my firepit and I won't be replacing it.

OK, I've vented. Please never use PVC and bury it under a slab. That is just stupid! I will post pics when I take my next trip to Lake Havasu.

2010-05-03171053.jpg

This is where the slab needed to be jacked out. The slab was 9 years old, and was dropping about an inch a year. There was also no steel in the concrete. All these photos are courtesy of my son, who is working his butt off before dad goes out next week!

2010-05-03170841.jpg

This is the 3/4" pvc t fitting that was the cause of my problems in the first place.

2010-05-03171118.jpg

These are the new drains being installed in order to handle the monsoons we get out there.

Last edited:
2010-05-03180857.jpg

This is a view of the retaining wall, which was collapsing as a result of the broken pipe, along with two broken 3" drain lines. Notice the water on the side of the wall. This has been costing me about $100 a month in wasted water, and causing the slab to slip downwards.

021.jpg

This is a picture of the slab from a few years ago. Notice the cracking and drop of the slab.

Well, my new concrete was poured two days ago. They sawcut the stress joints yesterday,and looks great. Because expected temps at 100 degrees today, I will be stuck wetting down the new slab every half hour in order to reduce and/or eliminate cracks. I guess it could be worse,like having to go to work!

havasu2065.jpg

Well, the job is done. Total cost $5800, because of a lousy 59 cent 3/4" PVC "T" fitting!

I bought the place in 2000, and all the hardscape had just been done, so I would say 1999.

Back