PVC to copper valve replacement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fritz57

Reaction score
have a leaky copper valve atop an outdoor PVC pipe.
Is there anything special about replacing that I should know?

the PVC is painted black. figure I'll cut off the PVC below the "T" and "L" above (not in picture).
Get a new piece of PVC and "T" & "L". Prime and cement.
But I was hoping to find a brass fitting that has PVC bonded to it rather than a threaded PVC "T" & "L".
Haven't been ablt to find that. So I guess I'll get new threaded bibs and teflon tape.

Attachments

• IMG_20230123_193824.jpg
    IMG_20230123_193824.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 2
Just use pipe dope, no Teflon.

Screw it in snug then turn water back on. You can always tighten more if needed if it leaks.

Don’t over tighten or it’ll split the plastic.

It’s not good to screw brass into plastic. It can crack the plastic immediately or in the future.

"It’s not good to screw brass into plastic. It can crack the plastic immediately or in the future."
whats' the alternative? That was why I was looking to find PVC bonded to brass "T" & "L".

I’d just put it back like it is if it’s outside.

Ideally you want to screw metal over plastic. So you’d need to replace what you have and use male pvc adapters and female brass faucets.

Last edited:
I like to convert to pex in the ground and do all above ground piping in pex.

Pex is more durable than pvc.

that would be such a huge job, I can't imagine. Next owner.
"Ideally you want to screw metal over plastic. So you’d need to replace what you have and use male pvc adapters and female brass faucets."
noted. I think that's it. thanks again.

Latest posts

Back