PVC - Plumber’s Putty - Chemical Smell

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPHS

Reaction score
Hello,

Recently I purchased a Moen faucet and installed it using the included plastic waste assembly. As suggested in their guide I installed it using plumber’s putty around the metal drain before tightening it down. About a month later, today in fact, I started noticing an extremely noxious oil/petroleum smell coming from the drain. Could this possibly be from the plumber’s putty interacting with the pipe or rubber gasket? The plumber’s putty does say it is safe on plastic, except ABS.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
Plumbers putty stinks and smells like you subscribe. It's like every plumber online is trying to cover that up. I'm having the same problem withi mafter a bad plumber put my tap in.

https://www.americanpest.net/docs/msds/Hercules-Putty-MSDS.pdf

Material Safety Data Sheet
# 329
Hercules Chemical Company Inc.
111 South Street Passaic NJ 07055-7398
Information Telephone: 1-800

9. PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES
Appearance Beige
Odor Mild vegetable odor
Physical State Solid
pH Not applicable
Flash Point Not applicable
Autoignition Temperature
Not applicable
Boiling Point/Range No data available
Melting Point/Range No data available
Flammability Limits in Air No data available
Specific Gravity 1.89
Water Solubility Insoluble in water Solubility No data available
VOC Content 10 g/l
Viscosity Putty

There are many different Plumber's putty's.

Plumber's putty formulations vary but commonly include powdered clay and linseed oil. Other formulas use limestone, talc, or fish oil.

So they can have different smells.

Here's another general review of Plumber's putty's (scroll down for pros and cons).
https://simpletoilet.com/best-plumbers-putty/

Last edited:
Post some good pics of the drain under your sink.

Your trap might be siphoning itself dry, and you are smelling sewer gas from the sink drain.

Back