PVC Leaks under sink (new install)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before you tear things up, run a longer snake in there.
All the way to where it joins up with a vertical drain.

Even if there is a belly, the sink should still drain, unless he is pouring plaster down there, or something else pretty solid.

And maybe the pipe behind the cabinet has enough flex and play to just be propped up about a 1/2 inch or an inch higher, at the trap adaptor.

Last edited:
Jeff:

I ran a snake all the way to the vertical pipe, which is only a couple of feet. (no blockage)cut drywall.jpg shows toilet.jpg I'm attaching a picture of the pipe compared to where the toilet is. The vertical pipe is between the toilet and the sink. I did take some of the drywall off because I needed to cut into the 2X4's so I could raise the pipe to gain slope. I was able to lift the pipe probably about 1" and I checked with a level and it definitely toward the toilet now. How do I know if this is adequate? The pipe still had water in it from before and when I pull the pipe down an inch (after being up an inch) water comes out of the pipe. Does this seem normal? Why wouldn't all of the water have drained into the vertical pipe? Let me know your thoughts. If this is adequate, it would be a life saver, because the only drywall that I had to remove will be hidden by the vanity.

Thanks again.

There is something blocking the water draining out.

Your snake should be able to go into the vertical pipe and continue down a ways, a foot or two at least.

If the snake goes through, water has to go through.

Maybe there is a test cap glued into a fitting somewhere on the way?
Or like I said before, a rag got stuck in there, and now it is sliding downstream.

What happened to the trap adapter and elbow?

Did you saw them off, or were they not even glued on?

Something does not make sense there.

The main pipe it feeds into is blocked, otherwise all the water would have drained out of the pipe.
Think

Jeff:

You were right. There was a cap in the pipe. I probably should have known sooner, but I really did not remember there being one. I'm sure this will solve all my problems. Thanks everybody for all the help.

Make sure everything is PVC GLUED together if it was not before.
Not just jammed together friction fit.
And clean the surfaces with pvc primer first.

Back