PVC Leaks under sink (new install)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulinWI

Reaction score
I recently installed a new sink (including all plumbing) in basement. It leaks where the PVC drain pipe connects to the pipe that comes out of the wall. I bought a new nut and washer just to make sure that wasn't the issue. It still leaks. I'm not a plumber, so there may be something very obvious that I'm missing. It seems odd to me that there is not something a little tighter in this spot to prevent leaks. I feel like I could pull the pipe out of the washer if I pulled hard enough. I'm attaching pictures. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_1824.JPG
    IMG_1824.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1825.JPG
    IMG_1825.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 44
I recently installed a new sink (including all plumbing) in basement. It leaks where the PVC drain pipe connects to the pipe that comes out of the wall. I bought a new nut and washer just to make sure that wasn't the issue. It still leaks. I'm not a plumber, so there may be something very obvious that I'm missing. It seems odd to me that there is not something a little tighter in this spot to prevent leaks. I feel like I could pull the pipe out of the washer if I pulled hard enough. I'm attaching pictures. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I'm definitely not a plumber, but had a situation that appears similar. The old connection I replaced had a flat rubber gasket/washer. The only replacements I could find in the home improvement stores were the plastic pipes with the opaque plastic beveled slip washer (?) like what you show. Anyway the plastic washer would not seal. You might need the rubber washer for the fitting coming out of the wall. The make rubber beveled and rubber flat washers, mine took the flat washer.

Put some pipe dope on it and screw it in a bit tighter

Get a chrome metal slip nut to replace the plastic one.
It will stand a little more tightening than a cheapo plastic nut.

And get some colored beveled washers, sometimes they are green or red, maybe other colors too.
They are squishier than the translucent clear ones.

Home Depot sells both of these.

And as Rickyman said, you can add some pipe dope if needed, just goop a thin layer all around and inside the beveled washer and the edge of the trap adaptor.
But only use if needed, because it can dry out and make it harder to unscrew later.

Also, get a longer extension piece that you have going into the trap adaptor.
It looks like you only have about 1/2 inch going inside.
That is going to be wobbly.
An inch or two longer gives more support, as long as you have room for more length to go in there without blocking anything.

Last edited:
2 issues i see in the image

1]. I see a pipe sticking out of the wall
but i do not see an adapter glued on the end of that pipe with threads.

verify the pipe has male threads

2]..
a typical lav sink drain is 1 1/4''
the typical pipe size for the pipe that exits the wall is 1 1/2''

you need a 1 1/2'' x 1 1/4'' reducing slip nut washer to make the connection
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin...sher?msclkid=19bceca80eef103cb2eab2af1b9c6b27

Unless the p trap and extensions are all 1 1/2 inch, and he already has a reducing washer at the sink tailpiece.

Terry61:
I bought a rubber flat washer. I'm still having issues. I didn't see a rubber beveled washers at Home Depot, but it seems like that would work better. How do I know which to use?

Jeff:
I did get a longer extension piece going to the trap adaptor. I think that was a good idea.

Frodo:
The pipe coming out of the wall does have threads.

Jeff:
Yes, the p trap and extensions are all 1-1/2", and I have a reducing washer at the sink tailpiece.

Rick:
I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say, "appears to have a ridge inside where fitting turns"?
I'm attaching a better picture of the fitting coming out of the wall. Based on this picture, do I still need an extension?

Thanks everybody for you're input.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 21
1-1/2 in. Plastic Slip Joint Nut with 1-1/2 in. Reducing Washer

https://www.homedepot.com/p/205154062

This kit has the slightly squishier beveled green 1 1/2 plastic washer, and also a reducing washer which you don’t need, but might someday.

Also a new slip joint nut, maybe it will tighten better than the one you have now.

09A98CF0-76A0-4B72-8523-2B0840D29896.jpeg

Make sure you are installing the washer with the thin bevel going towards the threads of the trap adapter at the wall.

Sometimes those cheapo pvc drain parts have stickers on them, that need to be fully and carefully removed if they wind up under a slip joint.

Also, there are frequently burrs or molding defects that can be scraped off or sanded, sometimes they are big enough defects to interfere with a good seal.

is that a regular male adapter in the wall? Or a trap adapter as it should be?

The inner edge looks beveled to me.

Attachments

• 1EAF0179-5056-4186-BF8D-3B146685E962.png
    1EAF0179-5056-4186-BF8D-3B146685E962.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 8
“does thenut screw onto the thread wih out the washer?
if it does, then the washer is the problem
switch to a different washer”

frodo, I don’t get this.
What am I not understanding here?

If the nut screws onto the adapter with out the washer
You are verifying
Then it fits. the fittings are round, the threads are good
the ONLY thing left is the washer.

Change the washer.
I am wondering if his washer is a flat tail piece washer

Jeff:
You say the inner edge looks beveled to you? Are you talking about the washer? because there is no washer in the picture. (The PVC may look beveled).

I did replace the gray flat washers that I bought at Home Depot with beveled green washers. That seems to have fixed the leak.

I may have a more serious problem now...The water does not drain from the sink.

The pipe/male adapter in the wall was put in by the home builder when the house was built in 2007. I added the plumbing you can see in my original picture. Why would this not drain? Did i miss something?
Thanks for any input.

If it helps, the toilet that was installed right next to the sink works great. The sink is not draining at all. I'm would highly doubt there is a clog in the line. It seems to be a pressure issue?

Back