PVC in Commercial in Massachsuetts

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aqua Wolf

Reaction score
Hey everyone. The requirement for cast iron in commercial buildings or over 5 stories in residential is beginning to be a pain in the a##. I have heard several times this is going away. Can anyone confirm this and do we have a date when this is going away? It is absurd that this is still a thing. Thanks in advance!

What's wrong with cast iron. Chicago area still pours lead joints on sanitary and storm, at least they were back in 2011 and 2012 when I was working out there. If i built a new house today it would be cast iron instead of thin wall pvc that sounds like a waterfall in the walls

What's wrong with cast iron. Chicago area still pours lead joints on sanitary and storm, at least they were back in 2011 and 2012 when I was working out there. If i built a new house today it would be cast iron instead of thin wall pvc that sounds like a waterfall in the walls
Time

Then why don't we just install IKEA flex pipe all over the place and save tons of time. I am glad i left the field for the design side. The house field has turned into its slogan we used to say. Throw up the trash and collect the cash.

And MONEY!! A 5’ length of 4” cast iron drain pipe runs over $80. In PVC, a 10’ length of same is less than $12. Shall we discuss the price of fittings?

As they say, “do the math”.

@CT18 You say you would, but I sincerely doubt you’d go with cast iron in a residential setting. You’d go broke IF you could find a crew skilled enough to install it. Look at these recent posts—they can’t even properly anchor a simple stub-off!!! 😉

The problem with today's castiron it's thin wall no hub that will fail in 15 years. SCH 40 PVC will last much longer.

Back