Push-fit Polybutylene Adapter

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okcdiyguy

Reaction score
I used a push fit connector that was designed to be an adapter from polybutylene pipe to pex/copper on the following connection: copper to pex.

The exact product I used can be found here:
https://m.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-1-2-in-dia-Standard-Adapter-Push-Fitting/50311109

Will the polybutylene end leak if connected to copper/pex? Because of where this is installed, I would have to remove a vanity and drywall to replace. So the "replace to be safe" answer is not what I'm looking for. Will the connection designed to be connected to polybutylene fail if used on copper/pex?

Thanks in advance for any information you all can provide.

Use a genuine "Sharkbite"-brand polybutylene to copper/pex push to connect fitting. No other push to connect fitting will be safe. Don't use the Lowe's junk brand.

If the polybutylene end is on copper it makes no difference. If it's on pex that's bad and should be replaced immediately. The difference is the stiffener not the coupling. Polybutylene requires a larger stiffener due to walls being thinner than pex.

If the polybutylene end is on copper it makes no difference. If it's on pex that's bad and should be replaced immediately. The difference is the stiffener not the coupling. Polybutylene requires a larger stiffener due to walls being thinner than pex.

Thank you. Do you know if the black or grey end of this particular lowes brand adapter is the polybutylene end?

Latest posts

Back