pungent smell in office room

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What Jeff Handy said. Also, the location could still be active in spite of the fact that some of the residents have crossed over to the other side of life. Good luck and keep us posted!
I will check attic again if there are any traces of rodents. Since this had been going on for a year almost if there are no stains or molds on the wall and baseboard, can I eliminate water/ liquid related leaking? and these days I sometimes noticed very mild drainage smell on the beginning steps of both stairs. see the marked red area. ( the blue marks are the stinky baseboard/carpet spot) . And also the sofa area the smell comes and goes. Is there pipes inside of the stairs?

Attachments

• A6D38C9B-DF9E-4A54-91A5-6811F3999DB4.jpeg
    A6D38C9B-DF9E-4A54-91A5-6811F3999DB4.jpeg
    237.2 KB · Views: 2
If you’re getting a smell it could be an open pipe, hole in pipe, cracked pipe, etc.

this is the home layout. Blue mark is the stinky spot. And I noticed mild drainage smell in the red marks area. Is there pipes inside the stairs? why I sometimes smell near the starting point of the stairs?

Attachments

• 21D351F3-57AC-4663-B4F3-1364231DFB5A.jpeg
    21D351F3-57AC-4663-B4F3-1364231DFB5A.jpeg
    237.2 KB · Views: 8
Pipes could be there......
I never heard sound of water running in the stairs so what type of pipes would be in the stairs? Vent pipe? Sorry too many questions i really have no clue about wood structured homes. Yesterday you said peppermint test, is there only one vent on the roof? Or there are few ?

I never heard sound of water running in the stairs so what type of pipes would be in the stairs? Vent pipe? Sorry too many questions i really have no clue about wood structured homes. Yesterday you said peppermint test, is there only one vent on the roof? Or there are few ?

no idea.

My girlfriend was trying to find a bad smell in our house last week. She pulled everything away from the walls and cleaned, emptied the trash can, and cleaned the fridge. I came home, smelled it, went to the cupboard and pulled the dead mouse from the trap.

I think the peppermint test would be the first step.

Airflow can be odd. It could be almost anywhere. You need to know every inch of your house to find something like this effectively. There is a leaky duct in my bathroom wall that let's smell in from the basement, through the light switch, in the bathroom when the fan runs.

I used to get skunk smell in my old house, only late afternoon on hot summer days.
It turns out I had skunks under my detached garage.
And my house attic roof ventilator would come on, and the lower air pressure would pull stink from the garage through the big conduit that fed power to the garage from my basement.

We don’t have rats or mice but then again we use a garbage disposal and don’t leave food in the garbage can.

Could be a neighbor stinking and your AC bringing it into your unit.

Could be a dried out floor drain letting sewer smell in.

My girlfriend was trying to find a bad smell in our house last week. She pulled everything away from the walls and cleaned, emptied the trash can, and cleaned the fridge. I came home, smelled it, went to the cupboard and pulled the dead mouse from the trap.

I think the peppermint test would be the first step.

Airflow can be odd. It could be almost anywhere. You need to know every inch of your house to find something like this effectively. There is a leaky duct in my bathroom wall that let's smell in from the basement, through the light switch, in the bathroom when the fan runs.
peppermint test has to be done on the roof, right? I bought the peppermint already, need to find a way get up to the roof.

There could be a cleanout with the cap unscrewed (or loosely screwed) under your carpet.

Latest posts

Back