Pump wont stop

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rmoore7167

Reaction score
Hi
First post. Just bought home with rain capture system. The pump just starts up and just keeps going. I have about 40psi and it just holds there. Wont go to 50psi. Heres what I did
1- took pump apart and cleaned inside. A fair amount of rust build up so…
2- flush out and cleaned out tube to pressure switch
3- decided to just replace pressure limit switch (sq D 30/50psi) since in expensive
4- still wouldn’t turn off. So checked pressure tank. Just filled with air
5- flipped relay apart and turned on hose..dropped to just below 30 and flipped on got water but again never turned off

is pump bad? Not sure what else to check…not a plumber but like to figure out.. saw something about checking amps but dont know how… have a meter though

Did the impeller look worn? If so that might explain the reduced pressure. Some pumps aren't designed to build up 50 psi, depending on their use. Our sprinkler pump, pumping out a lake will only build up 44 psi, but it will pump 40 gpm at 40 psi, and run 12 sprinkler heads at a time. Unless you need 50 psi, I would back of the pressure setting down to about 30 psi, it might work fine for many years. What is this system used for?

Latest posts

Back