Pump question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blasphemous1

Reaction score
My well pump(submersible) has quit and I'm curious if... Instead of pulling it.. keep on mind that I don't have any idea how deep it is. And I happen to have an above ground pump available... Would the submersible pump that quit working allow water to be pulled past it if I was to just add the above ground pump? I can't afford to have anyone come out to fix it. Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

That could work as long as the water level is less than 24' deep. But because you have a submersible I am guessing the water is deeper than that. Sorry for your problem but you are going to need to fix the submersible. Is there a control box on the wires or do they go directly from the pressure switch down the well? A control box or pressure switch could be an easy fix?

Like Valveman said, if you water table is high enough it will work. That's what I plan on doing when our submersible quits, but but we have a high water table, +12 feet! Yes, with the pump off water will still come out of a hose 12 feet above ground, the well has a seal above the pitless adapter to prevent it from overflowing. Because of this before I try to pull the pump I will have to figure out a way to contain the overflow and pipe it away. Short term, I have a shallow well pump that I will put in the line before the pressure tank to provide water pressure. When we are gone over winter we shut of the pump, blow out the lines in the house, and leave a hose run 3 gpm to the lake all winter. This is what it looks like in the top of our casing, has anyone had any experience working on this kind of seal.

Attachments

• well seal.JPG
    well seal.JPG
    665.1 KB · Views: 7
Yes, that's what I'm planning on being prepared for! But the shallow well pump that I put in the crawl space will provide water until I get the submersible repaired/replaced.

I'm going to suck the water right through the submersible pump, and after I pull it I will be pulling through the pitless adapter hole, which will be well below the water level. I'm quite happy with having wells, I have had to do very little maintenance on them in the 47 years of having 4 of them at different homes, and I do all my own work. I don't want to pay for city water!

I'm going to suck the water right through the submersible pump, and after I pull it I will be pulling through the pitless adapter hole, which will be well below the water level. I'm quite happy with having wells, I have had to do very little maintenance on them in the 47 years of having 4 of them at different homes, and I do all my own work. I don't want to pay for city water!
For what city water costs me, it’s hard not to like it. I pay about $1 a day for a family of 4.

For what city water costs me, it’s hard not to like it. I pay about $1 a day for a family of 4.

For just house water that sounds about right. City water would cost me thousands as I use a LOT of water irrigating and with a heat pump. Water is too important for me to allow a city or anyone else to have control. I also hate chlorine, which is toxic and cities use a lot of it. I have a well that hasn't been touched since 1982. Not many things as reliable as that.

For just house water that sounds about right. City water would cost me thousands as I use a LOT of water irrigating and with a heat pump. Water is too important for me to allow a city or anyone else to have control. I also hate chlorine, which is toxic and cities use a lot of it. I have a well that hasn't been touched since 1982. Not many things as reliable as that.
Wells can easily be contaminated. Who would know unless it’s tested regularly? No one.

Well water often is acidic in my area of the country. So the pump system is not all that’s in the equation. You must treat the water and filter it.

The pump requires electricity. City water doesn’t require me to have electricity. Property value increases with city water.

I don’t drink city water.......

I see your point. I am lucky enough to live in an area with good water. The only filter I need is the gravel pack in the well. Unless I see or smell something I only test every 10 years or so. It would be hard for the aquafer to get contaminated very fast. If the water needed much treatment I might let the city do it for me though.

I see your point. I am lucky enough to live in an area with good water. The only filter I need is the gravel pack in the well. Unless I see or smell something I only test every 10 years or so. It would be hard for the aquafer to get contaminated very fast. If the water needed much treatment I might let the city do it for me though.

I have a lot of customers that want both. City for the house and use the well for watering the lawn or garden.

Pros and cons to each like you say.

Back