Pump from well does not turn on automatically

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThisGuy

Reaction score
So I will post a link to a video showing whats going on. but to describe it. so there's 2 pumps, one underground in the actual well, and one in the "holding tank" (I guess that's what i'll call it). when the water in the holding tank gets low, the pump from the well is supposed to start and refill the tank. Its not doing that automatically. If I relieve the "bleed nut?" off the aerator valve, the pump kicks on, then I can tighten the nut to turn it off. I bypassed the float switch, so I know that's not the issue.. I THINK.. It seems like the aerator is the problem, but i just had it replaced like a year ago, finding it hard to believe that has failed. I feel like its something stupid that im missing. please watch the video, let me know what you think, Thanks

The valve is not opening. You’re opening the valve manually with the knob.

So the problem is either the valve isn’t getting the electric current sent to it or the solenoid is bad........I guess the valve itself could be bad..,

I mean i just changed the electric part. and tested it, it does get power.. what exactly is that valve called, or part number, I cant seem to find it. also, how important is that to the system, like, can i just bypass that? im guessing not, but doesnt hurt to ask

Not sure of a part number or size.

It’s a solenoid valve. Not sure of its current rating.
It appears it’s a normally closed valve that required power to open.

It’s not opening. You’re manually opening it.,

there are probably rebuild kits for it.
Any name or numbers on it ?

okay so i replaced the valve assembly, still having the same problem, and yes, the electronic part is electrified and brand new..

If water flows from that valve when you turn that knob then your valve is not opening by the solenoid.

Water is available but your valve will not let it through.

The problem is with the valve or the power to it.

There’s no if, ands or buts about it.

The valves at home depot are 24v

what kind of power are you running to the valve ?

Have you check for voltage at the valve with a test meter ?

Yes I know the valves from depot are 24v.. but i didnt use the solenoid that came with it, im using a 110v solenoid, I dont really know how to test it, other than seeing that it does have power going to it.

now with the new valve, if i relieve the nut, the tank does not fill.. yes theres power to the pressure switch..

oh and all parts are brand new at this point.. pressure switches, valve, solenoid, gauges.. I dont get it

I’m sorry, I can’t help you. Sounds like you have multiple things wrong.

originally the problem was the solenoid valve wasn’t opening. That was clear because you were opening it manually and you would get plenty of flow.

I'm concerned about the wires dipping in to that standing water. Maybe some sort of conduit would would be in order or something to hold it up?

I wish I could help, but my system is completely different-- I have a float lever on a switch attached to mine. From what I understand of solenoids, they do use some sort of float to sense when the water is at the right height to trigger it to open-- maybe it's not detecting the float or something is wrong with the float? Is there a float? I have no clue on this sort of system.

This is usually @Valveman's department.

Yeah unscrewing the nut on the top of the solenoid valve releases the pressure on the diaphragm and lets it open manually. That tells me the diaphragm and valve are good. Either you don't have the correct power to the solenoid or the solenoid itself is bad.

Are you certain the valve is correctly installed? They are one way devices.

Try, unscrewing the solenoid, and not the bleeder screw. That should also open the valve as the pressure above the diaphragm bleeds off. If it doesn’t the solenoid is bad.

If you well pump is normally called and shut off by the float switch, what is controlling now. If it is constantly on with no flow, you stand a good chance of burning up your pump.

Can you draw up a schematic of the plumbing system, and the electric systems you have. Like others I’m a bit confused about what your system is doing, and how it is supposed to flow.

The pump has a pressure switch, so it cuts off and on automatically.

When the holding tank gets low on water the solenoid should open the valve snd fill the holding tank back up. This is operated snd activated by a float switch in the holding tank.

That’s not happening. The valve is not opening. Water is available because he’s operating the valve manually.

Maybe she was re-iterating or agreeing with FishScreener? I dunno. I just hope OP gets this sorted out.

Latest posts

Back