Pump Control Switch?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kawiski

City Sleeker -> Rancher
Reaction score
My old Square D pump control switch was making multiple arcs when switching off, and I could not find any obvious faults (pump prssure on/off spring setting, 1/4" pressure check tubing, bladder tank air ressure, etc). So, I came a conclusion that the switch is bad (1.5 yr old). The new one I got (Centri Pro) is missing one feature - manual to control the pump off/on/auto lever on the side.

This is my Goulds J10S jet pump.
GouldsJ10Sv2.jpg

This is the OLD Square D switch with the lever on the side.
IMG_0004.jpg

This my NEW Centri Pro switch w/o the lever.
CentriPro002.jpg

I've used that lever on the old Squre D switch whenever the pump would not turn on automatically. W/O the lever on the new switch, is there anyway to manually turn on the pump?

The points look pretty burnt in the photo. If you keep doing that to the pump motor, it will not last very long.

If you have a tank, post a snapshot of it and where it is in relation to your pump.

What are you using this pump for? Home use, Irrigation, other?

All your pipes are insulated making it hard to see what's in line. Is that a check valve you have the gauge screwed into?

That ball valve should not be there. It should always be AFTER the tank.

Last edited:
> The points look pretty burnt in the photo. If you keep doing that to the pump motor, it will not last very long.

> If you have a tank, post a snapshot of it and where it is in relation to your pump.

> What are you using this pump for? Home use, Irrigation, other?

A> ll your pipes are insulated making it hard to see what's in line. Is that a check valve you have the gauge screwed into?

> That ball valve should not be there. It should always be AFTER the tank.

> Burnt points (due to mutiple arcing when trying to shut off) - yes, I will be replacing it soon.

> Photo of tank in relation to pump - will get one and post soon.

> Pump usage - provide water to a 3-bed room house and 1/2 acre lawn sprinklers.

> The gauge is screwed directly into the pipe, not onto anything else. There is a schrader valve thing on the pipe to the left of the guage. What is that for?

Remove the check valve that has the pressure gauge screwed into it. This will stop the switch from chattering on shut off.

> Pressure gauge is directly screwed into the pipe...

Besides all that...
how do I manually turn on (activate) the pump when the new switch I just got doesn't have the lever on the side as my old one (w/ burnt points) has one. Did I get a wrong one?

Before you take the pictures, remove the black insulation material so that everyone can see what is underneath that. I think that some of those offering their advice belive that it is a check valve assembly that is improperly installed. Myself, I don't know.

I am pretty sure that is a check valve. It is called a control check because it has two threaded ports on top. There is a Schrader valve sticking up to the left of the pressure gauge. You can either remove this check valve, or move the sensing line for the pressure switch to the same port as the pressure gauge.

I would remove it. By leaving it in line, any slight leak between the pump and well can cause the pump to lose it's prime. With the valve out, the tank will keep that line pressurized.

Back