Proper Procedure for Water Shutoff?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmithe2010

Reaction score
I just read: shutoff main valve and let downstairs faucets drain.

Question: Does this means when opening the hot water faucets, it will drain the heater's tank? Is this right with the heater still on? Shouldn't I shutoff the heater's hot water outlet to add to the procedure?

TIA

Really need to know what you are trying to do. Shutting off the main water supply and opening faucets (hot, cold or both) will not drain down the tank since the hot water outlet is at the top of the tank. If the water was only going to be off for a short period of time, no reason to shut off power to the heater. It is still a good idea though, since it may be forgotten about later and you don't get the water back on.

Oh just changing a couple of water outlets.

I assume the hot water pipes are pressurized by the pump in the water heater? So if I don't shut off the heater, how does the heater knows not to force hot water out while am doing the repair? Am sure there is a perfectly good explanation, but am no plumber!

Thanks again!

Last edited:
There is no pump in the water heater. The flow/pressure is controlled by the cold water coming in. If you are working on the hot water piping,I would turn the heater unit off.

Latest posts

Back