Proper pipe sizes for gas lines.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillycarriagehouse

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm renovating my first floor including the kitchen and adding some better appliances. I think I've determined that my existing natural gas lines are undersized for the volume needed for my appliances. I'm using a gas dryer, boiler for hydronic system, instantaneous water heater and high demand range/oven and may eventually add a line for my grill outside. I think I've figured out the proper sizes needed for all the runs in my system, but wanted to get some feedback from others who have done this and have more experience. here's a flow chart with all the details.

View attachment Natural Gas Plan.pdf

Your # for BTU/hr for each fixture mislabeled.

For example: DRYER 22k 20 btu/hr

Did you mean? 22,000 btu/hr divided by 1050 BTU/cubic Ft ( heating value )
with the result to be 20 cubic ft/hr

Looks good to me, presuming the heating value of your gas is similar.

Scan0001.jpg

You know you can call the gas company and speak to the engineers. One thing you need to verify if your meter is able to provide the gas you need. Most residential are and I thought it was up to 4 lbs, but the next level up requires a larger meter, along with pipe.

Just call and check with them. In most cases what I have found a 1" or 1 1/4 pipe for your main run, then 3/4 branches for your appliances in MOST cases for basic residential considering a semi-pro cook top.

Latest posts

Back