Proper Main Line repair?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael C

Reaction score
Quick question. had to replace section of 3" main line to tank. one end is regular ABS glued coupling, the other spot is 8' away and i used one of these metal sleeved couplings. Should i use a plastic sleeve coupling with the 4 hose clamps instead? are either of these rated for burying?

Story:
so for 20 years my main line slows down every 5 years. my Harbor Freight snake eel can't do the job so i call the pro. they have always had a hard time. always get stuck at 23 feet in. eventually they get through and it's cleared.
this time he could not get through. so i dig under my house at 23' and nothing but pipe there. i drill a hole anyway and look, No Snake!
back up to where the cleanout (added just before i bought the house when they added a master bedroom/bath) drops into the main line, i see the T is a real T, not a sweeper. i cut that pipe dropping down and manually guide my (rented 3/4 snake) in the right direction and clear the problem.
turns out there's a better than 3 in 4 chance a 3/4" snake will go back to my other bathroom which is 23' away.

so i capped off the old T, added a sweeping T, I used a regular ABS glued coupling on the far side of my pipe replacement (about 8' from T) and used one of these metal covered couplers to join the pipe.

So here's the question, maybe i should use one of those rubber sleeve couplers with the 4 clamps instead? is my metal one rated for burying?
I don't have to bury this T and coupler. i can make a little retaining wall by the coupler and cover the hole with plywood. this way Murphy can't hide under there if i bury it....

Thanks all,
Mike

original work photo
there is an immediate turn up stream (towards right of photo), couldn't really cut out the old T.

20191012_171356.jpg

Latest posts

Back