Proper "How 2" video sewer cleaning?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny3xd

Reaction score
I have been thinking with the many really bad advice videos on the web on how to clean a mainline that perhaps doing one with safety in mind? The reason I havn't is I am really opposed to DIYers and the drum machine rentals.

Just wondering what folks thoughts are on this. I don't want to promote it. Not because I want to keep the ancient, mysticle secrites of unclogging a sewer line and protecting the business. But folks get hurt.

LoL. Think I talked myself out of it.

This was a professional; "STNGWire

A Skokie man died Tuesday after an accident with sewer equipment in northwest suburban Park Ridge.

Joseph Patyk, 32, of the 800 block of Lawndale Avenue in Skokie, was pronounced dead at 1:45 p.m. Tuesday at Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office.
A piece of Patyk’s clothing became twisted around his neck while working with a machine on the 750 block of North Merrill Street in Park Ridge, according to the medical examiner’s office.
A Park Ridge police officer said the man was a contractor working with sewer equipment “some days ago” when the accident occurred. He apparently had been hospitalized ever since. It was not immediately known when the accident happened.
An autopsy is scheduled for later Wednesday. Park Ridge police are investigating"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The operator of the drain cleaning machine was trying to unclog a drain line and the cable got entangled with the pant leg.

Once this happened the cable then entwined with the article of clothing and proceeded to keep turning, winding down until the tension of the cable ripped the skin off of the lower leg.
Due to contamination of the leg by the sewer cable's unsanitary nature, the leg was removed 4 days later due to the inability to prevent the spreading of infection and agonizing pain.
The employee is no longer a plumber as a result of this unexpected accident"

My machine has an air switch. Take your foot off the switch and that turns the machine off.

I agree it’s dangerous but so are a lot of things. Sign the waiver sir.......

Your saying when a home owner rents a machine, sign a waver?

speaking of. Just watched a video. Kids playing next to C/O as gloveless guy snakes out the line.

I think a GOOD how to video would get lots of views. Make it clear the proper training and precautions should be taken. Make it clear that renting a machine isn't a good idea and that you recommend only trained professionals should do this work. Saying that the video, is meant for professionals and that homeowners are welcomed to watch, so they know what to expect when calling a pro would be a good inclusion.

There are all kinds of half pros out there that really don't know what they are doing. I would include myself in this when it comes to snaking out lines. I've only done it a couple of times and I usually call someone else to do it when it gets bad enough that something needs snaked.

My opinion is plumbing and drain cleaning are different things and I don't have any desire to learn that aspect of plumbing maintenance. That said a good video would be helpful. You need to be informative and to the point. Good editing. Keep the good informative parts and cut out everything else.

I have had a similar event with those general machines , yes you have a foot switch but by the time you take your foot off the switch and the machine stops it turn a few times, also if the cable has ever been kinked look out .

First, this is a DIY forum. Second, people looking for information should be informed about safety as well as how-to, so I think a video that is clear about risks and how to use equipment safely would be an excellent addition. This should help people make a decision about when to call for help and when to attempt on their own based on their experience level. A compelling introductory graphic and a good title aimed at drawing attention rather than discouraging DIY people would further support that goal.

Not all "pros" have an ap"pro"priate level of skill (applies to all areas of construction), so it may help them as well.

JG's comments are excellent.

Drain cleaning doesn’t even require a trade license here.

Anyone can buy a machine and a business license and go to work.

Forgive the late reply. Been working on a project and it's coming to fruition. (really exciting. Final stages for grant to build a revolutionary boat I have been toying with for years)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree. Just because drain cleaning has to do with pipes. Does not make it as important as plumbing. It's not. People would die without clean, uncontaminated water. Drain cleaning or lack of, would have little effect for a good while and nothing like what would happen without plumbers. I would support certification for drain cleaners but more about ethics than application. It's a one-trick pony gig. LoL, what would that exam look like. (I gotta stop before I get in trouble.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Out of boredom and what gave me this thought I had watched a few videos of people DIYing drain cleaning. I said it before but it is scary how close to injury and property damage they all seem to come. The goal was just to look out for folks. To inform people about the dangers of the equipment and how much it can cost snapping or tieing a cable up in a knot. Here and youtube, using 1/4 and 1/2 cables to do main lines.....

The whole idea was, is to at the very least warn folks. I guess it would not offer enough confidence that someone who would not try it, now would. (I worry to much) The main of my question and thanks!

Back