Propane line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewmgsa

Reaction score
I have a 120 gallon liquid propane tank on the side of my house. It has 1/4 flexible copper tubing running to the basement hot water tank and the kitchen stove. Both appliances are on the same side of the house as the tank. I want to run a pipe across my basement to the opposite side of the house to create a propane outlet for my generator and grill. Can I use black steel pipe for this ? About 30 feet of pipe? Would I use 1/2” pipe or something smaller ?

That’s a small tank......

How many BTU’s does the generator use ?

Not sure on BTU. It’s a 6500w generator. Used seldom if power goes out during storm.

The generator you have the demand it requires on it. I have never seen a 1/2" line to any but don't take my word for it. I have piped maybe 10 total and all have been at least 3/4 and a few 1" because of the distance from the meter to the generator location and it was csst and not hard pipe

The delivery pressure will help determine the pipe size.

Delivery pressure can vary. Depends where you install the regulator.

If you are going to run the line across the basement it will need to be low pressure 11” WC. I’d do 3/4” pipe.

If it’s high pressure off the primary regulator I wouldn’t run it across the basement, that would be 10psi......but you could use a much smaller pipe.

Then at the generator a secondary regulator would be installed to drop the pressure to 11”wc or whatever pressure the generator called for. This would be if you ran the pipe outside by digging a trench.

The generator you have the demand it requires on it. I have never seen a 1/2" line to any but don't take my word for it. I have piped maybe 10 total and all have been at least 3/4 and a few 1" because of the distance from the meter to the generator location and it was csst and not hard pipe

You ever see that gastite csst pipe sizing slide chart ? You pick the delivery pressure and the length and it spits out the pipe size to use. It’s nice !

Back