Proof of Flame on Hot Surface Ignitor

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gddavid979

Reaction score
I have a RUUD PVP50H-1. Power vent unit with hot surface ignitor. I was having problems finding the unit with the blower on, no flame and cold water. I would power off, power on. Decided to clean the burner with a shop vac.. Physically broke the hot surface ignitor. Don't know if it was already partially burned in two or there was something else wrong. Turning unit on, blower works, blower pressure switch works, gas valve comes open. Don't tell the safety police, but lit it off with a lighter and the flame caught when gas valve opened but only burned for a few seconds. Gas valve went shut, blower stayed on. This hot water heater is literally 1,000 miles from me. I want to get all parts I may need so when I go there, I can have hot water in 8 hours as opposed to 8 days. Can someone tell me what proves flame in this unit ? I am used to a thermocouple in the flame, fire eye or some other proof. Not obvious to me. Any help would be appreciated. Plan on getting hot surface ignitor, ignition control unit, and whatever proves flame (since I had flame and whatever this is didn't see it). Any other suggestions? I thought I saw somewhere the solenoids on these gas valves were subject to failure.

Don't see one, and don't see anything listed on the schematic. I am wondering if it is some how built in to the ignition control circuit board.

Wouldn’t hurt to have the draft pressure sensor along with the FV sensor if you are trying to bring or get everything you may need.

Latest posts

Back