Professional Tankless installation

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Call your local gas company and they will help you size up your gas line for your project. Its hard for us on
this forum to tell you how to run your gas line without being there. If not piped correctly your unit will not
run right.

Does anyone have documentation from a PVC manufacturer that approves their PVC pipe for venting water heaters in writing ?

It must be from the pvc pipe manufacturer. Nothing else matters to me.......I want the pipe manufacturers words on paper.

If you can find it I will ship you a prize if you send me your address.

Sincerely yours,
TwoWaXHack

I see your point but Navies install instructions, pages 60-70 show PVC to be used. Does this count for second place boobScreenshot_20210310-204644_Drive.jpgie prize?

I see your point but Navies install instructions, pages 60-70 show PVC to be used. Does this count for second place boobView attachment 28482ie prize?
Of course not. I expect Navien and every other manufacture to say use pvc. One could argue they just want to sell heaters.

I want it from the pipe maker 😬.

Where does one even find info on approved or unapproved uses for PVC? I'm sure it would probably say not designed for bong pipes, but millions do!

It seems to me the manufacturer would put something in print. Either yes or no.

I’ve yet to find either. Do they know something they’re not telling ?

Developing a new pvc pipe they label for venting ?

I don’t know. Crickets from the pvc makers from what I see. That’s why I’m putting the bounty up. 🤣

I dont think bongs are in our code book. They should be. 🤣

Charlotte pipe has a plastic pipe handbook that tells you in depth about pvc pipe and fittings.

It conveniently omits any reference to pvc used as vent pipe.

One of the plumbing inspectors favorite lines is “ follow the manufactures instructions of the product you’re installing “

Well while I’m running that vent I’m installing PVC. Just like when I’m running B vent made by metalFab.

I think I’m going to call tech support at charlotte pipe and see what they will tell me on the phone. And if they’ll put whatever they tell me into an email.

Add a link :
This manufacture SLAMS the use of PVC fir water heater vents. But they’re selling polypropylene vent, so are their criticisms valid ?

The truth may be somewhere in the middle.

I think it’s a topic that’s definitely controversial.
https://duravent.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/L277_WhitePaper_PolyPro.pdf

Last edited:
I will not start anything until everything is clear to me. Trying to get it safety done.

My gas meter says 5 psi. 1in pipe
I am only going to run furnace ( 40,000 BTU) and New tankless (199,000 BTU) , so that high pressure and pipe size. I assume it will be enough gas supply ?

I will assure you one thing. If you have a 1” line at 5 PSI delivered and the meter is on the side of your house you are about
127” W.C. Better off than a lot of the country. 🤣

You got plenty of gas bro. 🤣. WOW

That pipe is developed for flu venting, I cant use it for installing a sewer.

I want documentation that says sch. 40 DWV on a tankless water heater is acceptable From the PVC manufacturer.

If I installed a pvc DWV sch 40 on tankless condensing unit it would PASS in 99% of America.,

Why is that ?

Read this part of the article you linked I circled in Red.
F2E3B44F-F71F-44D2-A1BE-2934F7E31AA5.jpegWhy aren’t inspectors requiring pvc that is designed and listed for venting ? Because like I said, In most places I can vent your toilet and your water heater off the same piece of pipe ! 🤣

Last edited:
The intent of my post was to find a PVC manufacture that says their DWV pvc like everyone is using to vent condensing heaters is acceptable. Not to find a dedicated pvc vent system that’s exclusively for venting gas appliances.

The manufacturer won’t do that......but building departments all over the US have allowed it.

In fact, this PVC vent you’ve posted hammers my question home even more, Why are codes allowing DWV pvc to vent with ?

The intent of my post was to find a PVC manufacture that says their DWV pvc like everyone is using to vent condensing heaters is acceptable. Not to find a dedicated pvc vent system that’s exclusively for venting gas appliances.

The manufacturer won’t do that......but building departments all over the US have allowed it.

In fact, this PVC vent you’ve posted hammers my question home even more, Why are codes allowing DWV pvc to vent with ?
I can’t use foam core pvc to vent a water heater. I can use it to vent a toilet. I need solid core pvc to vent a water heater here. That’s the manufacturer of the appliance requirement. As far as getting a manufacturer to meet your needs good luck. I don’t think they give a rats ass what your opinion is.

I can’t use foam core pvc to vent a water heater. I can use it to vent a toilet. I need solid core pvc to vent a water heater here. That’s the manufacturer of the appliance requirement. As far as getting a manufacturer to meet your needs good luck. I don’t think they give a rats ass what your opinion is.

So you’re allowed to use DWV to vent a water heater. Does Charlotte say you can do that ? Have you asked them ? Just because it’s DWV doesn’t mean it’s foam core.

Whatever brand pipe you use......have you asked the manufacture if they approve it for flu gas venting ?

Some manufactures care what I think. Brasscraft flew me to Michigan, fed me and put me in a hotel to talk to them about their products. 👍

Charlotte might do the same.

But it’s not my opinion that I’m giving. I’m asking FOR THEIR OPINION in writing........but your comment sounded tough and sexy with that language.😍

Where are you located in the United States, What state ?

Last edited:
So you’re allowed to use DWV to vent a water heater. Does Charlotte say you can do that ? Have you asked them ? Just because it’s DWV doesn’t mean it’s foam core.

Whatever brand pipe you use......have you asked the manufacture if they approve it for flu gas venting ?

Some manufactures care what I think. Brasscraft flew me to Michigan, fed me and put me in a hotel to talk to them about their products. 👍

Charlotte might do the same.

But it’s not my opinion that I’m giving. I’m asking FOR THEIR OPINION in writing........but your comment sounded tough and sexy with that language.😍

Where are you located in the United States, What state ?

The IFG, section 503.4.1, covers the plastic pipe venting. Plastic is allowed for all Category II, III, and IV gas appliances, and simply states that gas appliance are to be installed in conformance with the manufacturers instructions. In the commentary they explain that the condensate in the flue can have low pH levels and be corrosive, requiring the use of plastic pipe. The code also requires contrasting color primer.

The Manufacturers design their units to keep the exhaust temp well below the plastic point of the pipes they allow in their instructions. if you follow the instruction there is minimal risk.

The IFG, section 503.4.1, covers the plastic pipe venting. Plastic is allowed for all Category II, III, and IV gas appliances, and simply states that gas appliance are to be installed in conformance with the manufacturers instructions. In the commentary they explain that the condensate in the flue can have low pH levels and be corrosive, requiring the use of plastic pipe. The code also requires contrasting color primer.

The Manufacturers design their units to keep the exhaust temp well below the plastic point of the pipes they allow in their instructions. if you follow the instruction there is minimal risk.

Does Charlotte pipe approve of the use of DWV plumbing pipe that they manufacture for gas flu Venting ?

We can’t sue the code department here if they approve of the use of product but it fails. So their opinion is garbage unless the pipe manufacturer approves of its use.

If it fails I want to sue Charlotte pipe. Right now they’re remaining silent.

I want their position on the use of the product they manufacture.

IF a lawsuit develops and Charlotte pipe is put on the stand, what do you think their engineer is going to say when the lawyer asks him “ Does Charlotte approve of DWV PVC sch 40 solid core pipe for gas flu venting and if so where is your test data?”

Latest posts

Back