Professional-Grade Faucets?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyjohn

Reaction score
A contractor we've been talking to about a bathroom upgrade says he can supply "professional-grade" Moen fixtures that are much more robust and reliable than the equivalent items you can buy at e.g. Home Depot. This even though they look identical and have the same product-line names. But of course they cost a lot more.
Anyone ever heard of this? I find no mention of "professional-grade" on the Moen website.

Thanks.

You have to understand how companies make money. I offered to go to the assembly line to put things together on my truck if Ford would lower the price, it didn't go over so good. If you want to do it that way you have to find a company willing to do it, but they will get there money elsewhere. How did you mention you wanted to supply your own fixtures, after they priced the job.

You have to understand how companies make money. I offered to go to the assembly line to put things together on my truck if Ford would lower the price, it didn't go over so good. If you want to do it that way you have to find a company willing to do it, but they will get there money elsewhere. How did you mention you wanted to supply your own fixtures, after they priced the job.
I'm afraid you lost me. Isn't the OP just asking if there is a difference in the products between what the contractor would provide vs the quality of the equivalent item from Home Depot?

Yes it is true there are products that are sold at the big box stores that are lesser quality of their counterparts that are sold at supply houses this does not mean all products or lesser quality but some are to give you an example that A O Smith water heaters that are sold at Lowe's are just rebranded whirlpools. Most of the time you were just purchasing a label many equipment many products are the same that are sold by other brands just with a different label on it

You seem to be implying that I'm acting in an unethical manner. I started looking into this question after I saw a line item in a contractor's proposal for nearly $3,000 of bathroom fixtures (double vanity, tub and shower; nothing fancy). If trying to save nearly a thousand bucks on a bathroom re-do doesn't meet your high ethical standards,well...sorry. (BTW, your rather lame analogy about your Ford truck does not really fit here.)

If I were being asked to spend 30% more for a shower control or sink faucet I would expect to have the contractor show me how his selections are superior to what I can buy at Home Depot. When I say "show me" I mean put a Depot valve on the table next to his valve and point out the differences. Pull the cartridges and set them side by side and explain the differences for example. One of the potential benefits of hiring a contractor is that they should have experience with lots of brands and sources and know where and how to buy the "good stuff". If you have lots of time to shop plumbing supply stores you can find the same stuff and save some money but the main reason for hiring a contractor is that you don't have time to DIY. Good contractors get stuff done fast and that is mostly what you are paying for.
If the contractor can't or won't take the time to explain why his fixtures are better then I would look for someone else.

Products made specifically for commercial use almost always carry shorter warranties than those created for the home. One to five year guarantees are standard for commercial faucets, flush valves and sinks. This compares to 10 - 20 year or even lifetime coverage on products designed for residential applications. It may be tempting to purchase the residential-skewed items for their long-lasting guarantees; however, they often follow a separate contract for commercial installations. Regardless of the product, check the manufacture's website or read the fine print to ensure that you are getting the level of coverage that you desire.

https://www.moen.com/shared/docs/product-specifications/tl183sp.pdf

warranty.png

Last edited:
Back