Problems with deduct meter

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rcmullen3

Reaction score
Had an irrigation system installed and the Carson deduct water meter (dial) is working but the wired remote meter that is on the outside of the house for the water company to read is showing all 0’s. The outdoor display unit and the indoor meter have both been replaced and still snowing 0’s. Any ideas? Think only thing left to replace is the wire from meter to display70414760873__AB68C394-5188-4CFD-BDDE-300E0487DB3F.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7345.jpeg
    IMG_7345.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7404.jpeg
    IMG_7404.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
That's were I would start,doesn't your city or town do the wiring ?????
Township inspects it but plumber had to do the work. I reached out to manufacturer and they indicated wire should he a twisted pair and the one pictured is a solid core. They also said the red wire was in the wrong slot. I put the red wire in the spot they said and it’s now reading on the outside meter. I had been trying to get this resolved for 8 months

Twisted pair and stranded wire are two different concepts, but if it's working then it's probably OK.

Yes. A twisted pair cable is a type of cable made by putting two separate insulated wires together in a twisted pattern and running them parallel to each other for the purpose of improving electromagnetic compatibility. By twisting the wires, some part of the noise signals goes in one direction (sending) while the other part goes in the opposite direction (receiving).

Ethernet cable is an example of four (4) twisted pairs in a single PVC sheath. The individual wires making up the twisted pairs can be either multi-strand or solid core.

Glad you finally worked it out!

Thanks for info. The manufacturer said the below to get the meters to match since it is only reading once it was replaced. Do I keep the jumper wire in both ports until it sends the pulses or do I manually insert and remove until it matches?

“If you want the remote to match what the meter reads you can create false pulses by using a jumper wire and tapping the COM and RS terminals until it reads the same”

Sounds like you can just insert pulses by tapping the jumper across the terminals, while leaving the other meter attached? Try it.

Back