Problem with urinal flush valve rebuild

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just rebuilt 4 Sloan Urinal Flush Valves and having a problem with one of them. Below is a link to a 30 second You Tube video that will show the problem. Every time I turn on the water, the pressure pushes the flush valve away from the supply valve. If I leave the water turned on, it starts leaking a little at the coupling. Yes, the stop coupling is on as tight as it will go. The other 3 rebuilds went fine. Any suggestions as to what's wrong with this one.

I always put pipe dope on it to help it slide. Check to make sure its on there properly and didn't get broken. Try an new
o-ring.

yeh use heat grease or food grade silicone there should be a ring on the nipple it slides back and forth ....is that ok.....is the stop/union connection level coming out of the wall

Used pipe dope ever since I got started in this business and never had a problem. The pipe dope that I use has Teflon in it.

stem lube, grease and you only need just thin smear.
pet peeve is when someone wrapped Teflon around the o-ring.

check the grove the o-ring sits in. some time the chrome flakes
If the nipple is sliding out when you turn it on then the crimp ring in the nipple is not grabbing when you tighten it down.
Pretty rare but I had one that was distorted so the nut did not fit over it properly.
Kind of like the ring an a ISE disposal flange. it has to be set into the groove on the flange
I think there is a groove in the back of the nut that the ring sits into .

Latest posts

Back